interest check: 4340 27 spline cromo yota inners + longs

Parts, vehicles, fab and mechanic work, etc.

Moderator: Club Officers

yotacowboy

interest check: 4340 27 spline cromo yota inners + longs

Post by yotacowboy »

trying to decide whether it'll be worth it for me to upgrade to 30 spline longs or not.

anyone interested in a pair (1 short side, one long side) of 4340 inner axles (Poly performance's 2nd gen with tapered splines at the birfield, so no mar-tacking needed) and a pair of old skool ring'd Longfields??

i'm not sure how much to ask, and I'm not sure whether it'll be worth it to set up to the 30 spline longs unless i can dump my old stuff for a few bucks...

pm me or e-mail me if you're interested and I'll start to think about a price.

thanks!!
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
alk1174
Club President

Post by alk1174 »

Keep me informed as to a price. I might be interested. I am trying to figure out what to do myself.
Adam K
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

here's what i'm thinking, but keep in mind i haven't decided yet...

4340 shafts - $250 new, $180 used (the hardest these have been wheeled is up at potts once, otherwise just typical screwing around on bobcat).

aside: i've read some explainations behind why Pig @ polyperformance made some of the decisions about these shafts, and I tend to agree with his thinking, for example: when bobby broke a one on the axle testing machine, they had a lower catastrophic failure point than bobby's similar 27 spline axles. they twisted like twice as much as bobby's stuff before failing though... essentially pig's 4340 inners could be considered "tougher" than bobby's inners, but not as "strong". readin up on how guys like sandy cone like to make their axles, the "tougher" not "stronger" way of making axles is more inline with 4 wheeling... stonger not tougher is more inline with high HP drag racing and such. i can't really say how much of this is snake oil (sandy cone himself says heat-treating is as much art as is it science), but i'd tend to think that ultimately it'd be better to have a durable axle shaft as opposed to just a strong one (highest ultimate yield)... this is probably why most guys that run Moser axle shafts in 4 wheelin rigs tend to snap them like twigs; they're made for drag cars, have waaaay different heat treat and hardening as superiors or yukons...

Old skool Longs - $120/pair, this price i'm a little more flexible on since they've seen their share of abuse already, they click, but i haven't inspected them to see how loose they really are.

i figure if you're lookin at running new cromo 27 spline longs (the package deal) that runs, what, like $550 or something? and i can save you a good $200...
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
alk1174
Club President

Post by alk1174 »

Just wanted to let you know I decided to go with a new set of longs.
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

not a problem, i decided to stick with 27 spline stuff!