TreyXJ's 99 Cherokee

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

TreyXJ

TreyXJ's 99 Cherokee

Post by TreyXJ »

Hello, I'm Trey. I'm a freshman engineer, and I bought my Cherokee along with me. I bought my Jeep bone stock 3 years ago.

Since then, I have done many upgrades on the suspension, electrical systems, audio system, and appearance. My current specs are :

1999 Jeep Cherokee
~180,000 miles
4.5" Lift
32" BFG A/T
Roof rack
4x KC daylighter's + 2x KC slimlite's
Mike Singer custom 350 amp alternator
2x Kinetik HC1800 car audio dry-cell batteries
4x Kinetik HC600 car audio dry-cell batteries
Sky High Car Audio 2/0 wiring
Popcorn Sounds AX6000.1 amplifier w/ AA 500/1 "The Fix" board
CT Sounds CT125.4 amplifier
CT Sounds CT125.2 amplifier
4x 6.5" Infinifty Reference Component speakers
8x 6" Selenium 6w4p Component speakers (active)
2x Selenium ST200 superteeters (active)
4x 15" Obsidian Audio OA15's (SPL coil recones)
18 cubic foot, C pillar wall tuned to 30 hz.

And now to the build log, past to present

I'll start off with how I bought it 3 years ago. My Jeep the first day I got it.

First thing I did was lift it 3" and throw 31s under it. Lift kit is a full spring pack leaf springs in the back to support the extra weight from subs and boxes, and heavy duty coils in the front for if I ever add a winch bumper

Next I installed a Sony CDX GT650 ui, polk DXI 650s, and a Kicker ZX350.4 for my headunit and mids/highs. Subs were 2 15" Kicker L5's powered by 2 P2000.1's.

As you can see...this Jeep is my daily driver, car audio build, and weekend warrior

Then I bedlined the lower quarters/bumpers/and fender flares with bedliner

Also painted my rims black

And bought a Yakima Megawarrior Roofrack, lightbar, and 4 KC Daylighters

Next system was about a year later. 3 SA8s wired to .67 ohms, powered by a SoundStream TX1 2600.

Next system was 2 DC m2 Level 3 18"s on 2 MB Quart ONX2000's

And that brings us to my current build... 4 Obsidian Audio OA15's powered by a Popcorn Sounds AX6000.1 with an AA 500.1 "THE FIX" board instead of the usual opti board that most came with. This is one of only 12 Popcorn Sounds amps made with the 500.1 boards.

4 OA15's

Which I then plastidipped black to go with the new all black theme

Popcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE FIX" + toolmaker duals + Knu 1/0

"THE FIX"

Aaaand all of my equipment from the past few years.

50' Sky High 1/0 OFC for runs from front to back. Will be running 1 Kinetik HC1800 and 4 Kinetik HC600's as battery bank, as well as a high output alternator.

I designed my box for this build, 18 ft^3 net, tuned to 29 hz. Gonna be a C pillar wall.

Box is double layered birch all around. 1.5" thick everywhere you look

got my front baffle mounted

Next on the list was bracing. As you can see above, I am using 2x 1.5" wooden dowels to brace up-down and side-side because Home Depot only carries 3/4" all thread rods in 36", and I would need a lot more than that for side-side bracing and just a little longer than that for top-bottom bracing. But for front-back bracing I am using 4 3/4" threaded rods.

^^excuse the dotted lines along the edges, thats woodfiller to fill in the countersinks so there are no visible screw heads.

Teh woofa's

My wall is a slide-in wall. And this thing is a TIGHT FIT
The hatch lock was making it impossible to slide the wall in cuz it was about .5" too tall so it had to come out. Was a pain in the ass cuz I have a hidden hitch that I had to work around to unbolt it from the under-side of my Jeep.

Top fits perfectly!

This was temporary. Bedliner + trim panels coming soon.

Needs beauty panels

Next on the list was trim panels

Built a battery tray...did a quick little design in Inventor

which led to this...

Then I got started on sealing up the wall.

I used expanding foam to fill the gaps and then caulked it to get a smoother finish.

And heres how the business side of the wall is turning out. just messing around right now...I'll clean it up before going to shows and stuff...

Wall loaded up with the subs

Video of the flex caused by subs. Doors flex about .5" both ways at full tilt. Roof flexes even more haha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiVL5J2OYNY

Next up is mids and highs. Bought 8x Selenium 6w4p's + 2 Selenium ST200 supertweets

I will be running the mids and highs active, with active crossovers and resistance blockers. CT Sounds 125.4 for the mids, CT Sounds 125.2 for the supertweets

Up next was a high output alternator. Alt is a Mike Singer 350 amp alternator. Its a hairpin style overdrive pulley alt, and is internally regulated to 14.8v

Video of all the air movement from the subs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frshnv_MFZU
Next on the list was more lift + tires

32" BFG A/T

Added shackles and blocks in the rear to lift it back up (the wall + all equipment weighs about 500 lbs, and was causing the suspension to sag.

Then decided to make it even more redneck than it already is

.....aaaand that is how it sits now. Still working on a few odds and ends, like door panels to house more speakers, reinforcing the roof against flex, and running more wire to handle more current. I will be updating periodically
Cab4you26

Re: TreyXJ's 99 Cherokee

Post by Cab4you26 »

That's a pretty clean jeep. I just saw it two days ago on the lift at Firestone.
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

Cab4you26 wrote:That's a pretty clean jeep. I just saw it two days ago on the lift at Firestone.
thanks buut...that wasn't my Jeep at Firestone haha
Cab4you26

Post by Cab4you26 »

Really? Wow. Yours looks just like the one I saw. I didn't see the front of it, though. Everything else looked the same!
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

How did you tune the sub box to 29 Hz?
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

BadAssEddie wrote:How did you tune the sub box to 29 Hz?
The tuning of a box is all about the port. My port is a 12" x 12" x 18" diamond, right smack dab in the middle of the box. I calculated my port by using a program called Torres Calculator. Its a huge acoustics equation based on the relationship of internal volume and port features (port length, port area, and port volume) but the program pretty much does everything for you. All I had to do was plug in the numbers.
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

TreyXJ wrote:
The tuning of a box is all about the port. My port is a 12" x 12" x 18" diamond, right smack dab in the middle of the box. I calculated my port by using a program called Torres Calculator. Its a huge acoustics equation based on the relationship of internal volume and port features (port length, port area, and port volume) but the program pretty much does everything for you. All I had to do was plug in the numbers.
Gotcha, where did you come up with that frequency?
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

BadAssEddie wrote:
TreyXJ wrote:
Gotcha, where did you come up with that frequency?
I've had a lot of systems in my Jeep and also heard a lot of other people's systems so I knew what frequency I wanted to tune to. It's mostly personal preference. I chose 29hz because of the type of music I listen to. I listen to a lot of slowed music with enhanced basslines, which really focus on the 25-35 hz range. Different genres of music have different ranges. For modern rap most people tune to 32-38, and for country/rock/everything else 35+ is the best range. For competing in SPL competitions, you usually tune to at least 45+ hz, as that is the resonant frequency of most vehicles, and the higher frequency carries higher energy.

So it really all depends on your personal preference of what sounds "good" to you, and what type of music you listen to.
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

New updates : I'm getting my doorpanels professionally made by the guys over at DB Designs. I have no experience using fiberglass...nor do I have the time or space now that I'm in college, so I'm just handing them off to them to build. Kinda disappointing because to this point, every single thing on my Jeep has been hand built / installed by me...audio, lift, electrical, etc. But whatever, I needed these door panels done and they do great work. The plan is to have EVERYTHING (mids, highs, amps, wiring) done in time for the CCVT carshow (25th), so they are going to knock these out real quick. I'll be doing all the installation / wiring...they'll just be in charge of doing the actual building.

The plan is 4x Selenium 6w4p 6" midwoofers and 2 Selenium ST200 2" supertweets per door. A total of 8 mids and 4 supertweets in just the front doors alone. In the back door, I will be running 1x Infinity Reference 6.5" coaxial and 1x Infinity Reference 5.25" midwoofer per door. Amps to power these are :

CT Sounds 125.4 powering all 8 Selenium midwoofers
CT Sounds 125.2 powering the 4 Selenium supertweets
Kicker ZX350.4 powering the 4 Infinitys.

The selenium midwoofers will be wired up in pairs of 2 (4 pairs of 2 total) wired in parallel down to 4 ohms nominal each.
The CT 125.4 does 125w RMS x 4 channels @ 4 ohms. So each Selenium will be seeing 62.5 watts RMS. That's a bit underpowered (RMS for these is 100 watts) buuut its no big deal since I'll be having 8 of these...they'll get plenty loud.
Total RMS for the midwoofers will be 600 RMS.

The supertweets (8 ohms) will be ran independently by the CT 125.2. They will be ran in pairs, wired down to 4 ohms. The amp will be putting out 125 watts RMS x 2 channels @ 4 ohms, so each mid will be getting 62.5 watts RMS.

Infinity Reference mids / coaxials are each 4 ohms, and will each have their own channel on the ZX 350.4 @ 4 ohms with 60 watts RMS.

Total of 990 watts RMS in mids and highs (lets just call it 1K)
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

OK so it turns out I can't physically fit all 4 speakers and 2 tweeters per door...its just too much for one door, and there's not enough space. So I'm having to do the original plan of 4 6's and 1 supertweet per door. ITS OK DOE ITS GONNA BE LOUD.

Speaker insert

Insert + speakers. The insert will be rapped in red vinyl.

Door getting all fiberglassed up. This will serve as the shell. The shell will be bedlined black, with the red vinyl insert + speakers sticking out.

Full door, still a lot of work to be done, but this is how its gonna look (mostly)

Everything is going to be flushed. Speakers are flush mounted, shell will have smooth lines, and of course the vinyl is gonna come out looking nice and contrast with the black ;)
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

Shell complete

Next step was wrapping the speaker cutout + shell in fleece, then fiberglassing the entire piece to a smooth finish

- - - Updated - - -

aaaand DONE

Jeeper52

Post by Jeeper52 »

they look nice! i bet youre excited for the best audio division of the car show huh
Bestop half top and the biggest light bar in the club
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

Jeeper52 wrote:they look nice! i bet youre excited for the best audio division of the car show huh
O yeah, I can't wait. I'm aiming to have everything done in time for the car show. Its going to be down to the wire, but I can get it all in.

Things I need to do by saturday :

Install door panels
Install speakers & tweeters
Install 125.4 and 125.2 amps
More ground cable
Touch up paint around the wall
Wash & wax
Speaker wire
Active crossovers
Rex82

Post by Rex82 »

Its going to be down to the wire, but I can get it all in.
I see what you did there, good one :lol2:
Chris
'04 LJ
'13 HYUNDAI Sonata
Play dirty, leave happy
TreyXJ

Post by TreyXJ »

Door panels and mids and highs are all done

Door panels ended up being a huge pain in the ass to actually install. I had to cut out a ton of sheetmetal from the door to allow clearance for the mid-motors.

Wiring looks decent enough LOL

I showed the Jeep off at the CCVT car show on Saturday and won "best audio". Had a great time with CCVT and a few of y'all guys from SC4WD.