Splicing New LED Lights to OEM Fog Light Harness

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Dovi82

Splicing New LED Lights to OEM Fog Light Harness

Post by Dovi82 »

So heres the deal, I have 15W LED lights that I would like to splice to the OEM wiring harness (since i am not running the ORM fog lights anymore) to save me the trouble of having to wire them up and get a switch. After much research I have found that in some cases the LED lights will flicker or work perfectly, its a 50/50 shot so I figured I should try it as soon as possible and since I go to a school with electrical engineers this should be easy I was wondering if anyone had the tools here to do some cutting and we will test them to see if the flicker before splicing, but if they do flicker is there an electrical engineer that knows how I could add a resistor or the proper steps to take?

Also does anyone have tools to attach the wiring harness from winch to my battery... i never had the time or the tools before I left.
Bacwds

Re: Splicing New LED Lights to OEM Fog Light Harness

Post by Bacwds »

Hey buddy post up pictures of your rig and mods under the Rigs section on here!
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

If you need help wiring up the lights, I'd be more than happy to help. Im usually pretty busy on the weekdays, but anytime before 6 on saturdays and sunday Im free. I have most everything you need to splice and it all together in the back of my truck. Just PM and Ill send you my number.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
Collison

Post by Collison »

Dovi82 wrote:So heres the deal, I have 15W LED lights that I would like to splice to the OEM wiring harness (since i am not running the ORM fog lights anymore) to save me the trouble of having to wire them up and get a switch. After much research I have found that in some cases the LED lights will flicker or work perfectly, its a 50/50 shot so I figured I should try it as soon as possible and since I go to a school with electrical engineers this should be easy I was wondering if anyone had the tools here to do some cutting and we will test them to see if the flicker before splicing, but if they do flicker is there an electrical engineer that knows how I could add a resistor or the proper steps to take?
Anyone with a breadboard can test those lights on it. Its pretty easy, i tested my LED turn signals on it and used different resistors to test brightnessess... but i sold it last semester. If a resistor is necessary, it can be figured out on the breadboard before you start cutting wires on the Jeep.

But! Your trying to replace the OEM fog light with LED fog lights right? It should be as easy as hooking red to red and black to black (and maybe a ground?) and make sure it is a good connection(soldered, heat wrapped, waterproof).

I'm not sure about the JK's, I have a TJ, but when i did my led turn signals i also had to replace the flasher relay(something about current and amps). Which is also very easy to do, search it on jeep forum or similar site and you can read for days about it!

Actually, Mr. WJ(president) is studying electrical engineering if i remember correctly. Maybe we could do a tech session on this subject.....

Dovi82 wrote:Also does anyone have tools to attach the wiring harness from winch to my battery... i never had the time or the tools before I left.
Do you have the wiring harness? A socket set works good.

:beer:
Collison - 2005 Jeep Rubicon