-----

2.7L - 4cyc
Manual
4WD
SR5
no locking diffs :(

-----

The beginning - Aug 2018

Got talked into trading my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee for my parent's 2001 Toyota Tacoma, although it didn't take me long to fall in love after.

-----

First SC4WDA Trip - Aug 2019

Back from it's first SC4WDA trip. Put in a cb radio in the year leading up to this but you can't see it in this picture.

-----

Replacing suspension (yeah... its still stock spec) - Nov 2019

Started hearing a clunk from the drive train, thought it might be caused by axle wrap so I replaced the rear leaf springs and shocks. Shocks were so far gone that they would compress under their own weight. While I was at it I did the front coils and shocks as well.

Turns out that it wasn't axle wrap but a u-joint. The thing was so old the rubber seal had rotted off and dirt had gotten in it. Got to it too late and ended up replacing part of the driveshaft with it.

-----

New Rims - Jan 2020

Got some gen 3 rims and new tires. Painted the fenders with some Walmart spay paint, turned out pretty well.

-----

Running Mountain Lake - Jan 2020

Testing out the new rims, got a 0.0001% grip increase over the old set. Painted fenders also improved gas mileage.

-----

Installing a trail bench - Mar 2020

Not above off-roading a foot path, just that this time I had a reason.

-----

New headlights - Aug 2020

With COVID-19 running rampant I had some time to catch up on maintenance. Headlights were a little dim so they were swapped out in addition to a new power steering pump.

-----

Got some really quick detailing work done - Aug 2020

Merging car decided that one lane wasn't enough and came over two lanes without checking their blind spot. I tried to give them room so that I would have enough time to slow down and get behind them but I guess there wasn't much room to give. Ended up stopping a few feet from a light pole. Other car didn't even know it happened and kept driving, thankfully a witness sped up and got the license plate.

Police: "Think its drivable?"

Me: Backing up onto the highway

Unfortunately it totaled the truck, decided to keep it anyway.

-----

Pulling her own weight - Sep 2020

Found a replacement bed down in Tennessee for a good price. Me and a buddy took a day off and drove down and picked it up. Got to witness some bobcat-carrying-a-truck-bed rock crawling while we were there.

-----

Back from the shop - Oct 2020

Back from Moore's. They did some amazing work detailing the "detailing."

-----

Bed Swap - Nov 2020

Finally getting around to putting on the "new" bed. It doesn't look super ugly, might consider leaving it that color after getting rid of all the rust.

2001 yota-taco
Millsonwheels

Re: 2001 Toyota Tacoma "June"

Post by Millsonwheels »

looks good those are great little trucks, ive been missing my old tacoma recently. I look forward to seeing it on the trails.
"I flock to beaters" -Benjamin Franklin
1947 Willys Pickup Broken but still reliable
1953 Willys CJ-3B Actively trying to break it
1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited, Daily Driver/Mild wheeling machine
2011 Ford F-250 "Tow Rig flavor of the month"
VerticalTRX
Club President

Re: 2001 Toyota Tacoma "June"

Post by VerticalTRX »

Looks good. I had a regular cab ‘97 2.7/5spd that I wheeled the heck out of bone stock, they are quite capable trucks. Looking forward to seeing more. :beer:
'79 F-150
'49 CJ-3A