Engine Misfire

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Lukipela

Engine Misfire

Post by Lukipela »

I went to Advanced Auto today to see why the engine light was on and found out that 3 cylinders are misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs but the dam light is still on. I dont like to waste gas just because my engine is shitting on me so any help would be appreciated.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

set it on fire and buy a toyota
DD: 2003 GC Limited, 4.7L
Trail Rig: hmmm
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

go back and clear the codes from the engine and see if the light comes back on ...

im tracking the same problem and it can be caused my a million different things ... water in the gas, bad rotor button, bad dist cap, bad plug wire ....

is it still midfiring? (does it still run rough as shit, idle badly, etc?) or is it running fine, but the light is still on?
Lukipela

Post by Lukipela »

idle has not changed but can tell that something is wrong when accellorating, can feel the loss of power.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Lukipela wrote:idle has not changed but can tell that something is wrong when accellorating, can feel the loss of power.
sounds like the plugs arent the problem ... i hope you have better luck tracking down your misfire demon then i do with mine...
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

hey, just do a full tune up, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. its always best to do a full tune up.....also, upgrade to accel wires if you can find them, i used them on my XJ, but had to get them at a local performance shop in Wythville. the full tune up will be the best start. also, make sure you use the proper plugs, my 98 (97-02?) use a champion platnium plug. i've seen GM's not respond well to using standard plugs, and do not, under any circumstance, use BOTCH plugs!!!! i've never seen a set do well, at least not for long.....been sellin parts for 4 years now!!
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Lukipela

Post by Lukipela »

TerryD wrote:hey, just do a full tune up, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. its always best to do a full tune up.....also, upgrade to accel wires if you can find them, i used them on my XJ, but had to get them at a local performance shop in Wythville. the full tune up will be the best start. also, make sure you use the proper plugs, my 98 (97-02?) use a champion platnium plug. i've seen GM's not respond well to using standard plugs, and do not, under any circumstance, use BOTCH plugs!!!! i've never seen a set do well, at least not for long.....been sellin parts for 4 years now!!
how much will all that cost about? hopefully not to much :neutral:
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

ah, plugs are 2.98 ea, cat and rotor are arond $20 i think? (not sure), and good wires (autolite brand at Advance, never buy the cheeper wires anywhere, they break down in no time) are about $30 i think? come see me tomorrow night at Advance in B-burg and we'll look every thing up for ya!
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Lukipela

Post by Lukipela »

can we do it sunday or next week cuz im leaving tomorrow around 1 to head up to snowshoe and will get back some time late on sat. thanks a lot
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

i work sat night, dunno about sunday yet....
Terry
Lukipela

Post by Lukipela »

how late sat night
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

open till 9!
Terry
Lukipela

Post by Lukipela »

see you sat then. thanks much
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

TerryD wrote: i've seen GM's not respond well to using standard plugs, and do not, under any circumstance, use BOTCH plugs!!!! i've never seen a set do well, at least not for long.....been sellin parts for 4 years now!!
hey now ... in 30K miles i have only burt up 4 bosch platinum plugs in my TJ :flipoff2:
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

lmao, case in point!!! Lemme put some champ plat's in there!!! it'll probably stop missing then!!!
Terry