Big Gay Bronco Build

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

BadAssEddie

Re: Big Gay Bronco Build

Post by BadAssEddie »

jstables wrote:I think I am gonna need to come see this thing this weekend you gonna be around
No I'll be out of town but it's in my yard if you want to stop by.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

This won't be a real and chronological update, just some pictures and words of what's been going on the last year. I'm sure many have seen these before on FB. Once I get my garage setup and running, I can make a real update and the next project is re-trussing the rear axle with the Barnes4WD Sterling truss: http://www.barnes4wd.com/Pro-Series-Ste ... p_390.html. Seems to be pretty solid and the best bang for my buck. Would like to regear at the same time if funds and time allow. Don't want to be out of wheeling for even more time (haven't been since Feb).

I got the hood put back on. I took the easy way out and cut the sides instead of cutting the middle and bringing the sides in. Bodywork hasn't been a priority on BGB:

New pads all around (I think). They were trashed. Super exciting, I know:

Sam and I got stuck for 5 hours at Windrock and I broke my rear driveshaft:

The past year was filled with small things like making new front shafts, replacing wheel bearings, radio repairs and installs, rust fighting, etc. School is over so now some of the things I've been putting off can happen like making more power, regearing, better coilovers to name a few. I also very much need a winch.

I unfortunately sold the BBF I had sitting around for the rig, but I think I will be happier with a mild SBF between cost, labor, and difficulty factors.

Photocred to Rosie:

An oldie, Potts 2010:
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

I'll fix the pic formatting later.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

She's got a new home now.

5 years after I bought the one tons, I'm finally regearing :lol2:

I want to run a locker in the front from now on, so the plan is 5.38's with a Grizzly in the front and a Miller in the back since noone makes a spool, I have a spare set of spiders, and a new carrier is $115 compared to $700 for a case locker. I might run the old welded carrier as well, need to look it over real good first.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Looking good, should be even more badass after the overhaul!
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
wheelertaco

Post by wheelertaco »

Cant wait to be your house guest in a couple weeks and wrench and drink some :beer: :beer: :rainbow:
"I am 110% winging it, and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing." - Sam Paras

Godsamnit Dam
VerticalTRX
Club President

Post by VerticalTRX »

BadAssEddie wrote: I unfortunately sold the BBF I had sitting around for the rig, but I think I will be happier with a mild SBF between cost, labor, and difficulty factors.

Big blocks are for tow rigs and mud trucks, they are heavy and expensive to build. For the type of wheeling we do you'd be happier with a well built 351w. Not sure what your motor budget is/will be, but I know a few good combos that can make some power without breaking the bank. I'm working on version 2.0 of my motor right now: much better heads, bigger cam, better exhaust, etc, hoping to add another 100hp :twisted:
'79 F-150
'49 CJ-3A
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

VerticalTRX wrote: I'm finally finishing my motor.:twisted:
Fixed it for you.... :flipoff2:
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

VerticalTRX wrote:Big blocks are for tow rigs and mud trucks
:lol2: that is sig worthy. I agree. I'm sure I'll be asking you an annoying amount of questions when the time comes. I don't have any crazy plans, I'd like 300-350 hp and 400-450 ft-lbs.

I am pulling the trigger sometime in September on new coilovers too. My FOAs could use a rebuild but I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. I am in between 2.0 Fox's (for cost and simple install) and 2.5 Kings (for bling factor and that they can be had for a pretty good price). Fox's are $1600 with springs and Kings are $2400 with springs. Input welcome.

Fox: http://www.davesoffroadsupply.com/Fox-2 ... _1422.html

King: http://www.filthymotorsports.com/2_5_Ki ... pr25co.htm

Additional Dilemma: Run a Grizzly locker up front or run my stock welded carrier with thick gears and save $500? Is the handling benefit going to be there for the price? My rig doesnt turn on a dime but it's not awful. I know Wong benefited from going from welded to a locker up front (and maybe Sam from a spool to a locker?), but I think that was a strength and steering power benefit over anything.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

wheelertaco wrote:Cant wait to be your house guest in a couple weeks and wrench and drink some :beer: :beer: :rainbow:
:thumby:
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
VerticalTRX
Club President

Post by VerticalTRX »

TerryD wrote:
VerticalTRX wrote: I'm finally finishing my motor.:twisted:
Fixed it for you.... :flipoff2:
Is it ever really done? The quest for more power is never ending.... :mrgreen:

BadAssEddie wrote:
VerticalTRX wrote:Big blocks are for tow rigs and mud trucks
:lol2: that is sig worthy. I agree. I'm sure I'll be asking you an annoying amount of questions when the time comes. I don't have any crazy plans, I'd like 300-350 hp and 400-450 ft-lbs.

I am pulling the trigger sometime in September on new coilovers too. My FOAs could use a rebuild but I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. I am in between 2.0 Fox's (for cost and simple install) and 2.5 Kings (for bling factor and that they can be had for a pretty good price). Fox's are $1600 with springs and Kings are $2400 with springs. Input welcome.

Fox: http://www.davesoffroadsupply.com/Fox-2 ... _1422.html

King: http://www.filthymotorsports.com/2_5_Ki ... pr25co.htm

Additional Dilemma: Run a Grizzly locker up front or run my stock welded carrier with thick gears and save $500? Is the handling benefit going to be there for the price? My rig doesnt turn on a dime but it's not awful. I know Wong benefited from going from welded to a locker up front (and maybe Sam from a spool to a locker?), but I think that was a strength and steering power benefit over anything.
Run a locker up front at any cost. I don't see how the guys that run a spool/welded in the front do it, btdt and it's not fun. I've broken the pins in my front Aussie locker before which effectively turns it into a spool. The difference in turning radius and steering effort was tremendous, night and day better with the locker.
'79 F-150
'49 CJ-3A
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

VerticalTRX wrote:
Run a locker up front at any cost. I don't see how the guys that run a spool/welded in the front do it, btdt and it's not fun. I've broken the pins in my front Aussie locker before which effectively turns it into a spool. The difference in turning radius and steering effort was tremendous, night and day better with the locker.
I was just talking to Alec about that yesterday, how going from a spool/welded diff to an actual locker in the front made turning a fuck ton better on the trail. I figured that even if he's running full hydro, that it'll definitely help especially on aired down 40s. It should help keep any steering bind issues down.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Some pictures of the Dana 60 regear this weekend. It was a bear to get in spec, the rear almost fell together. Seems to be the trend with reverse rotation internally shimmed setups :confused2:

Thanks to three years of wheeling with no axle vent, shot seals and gear mud instead of gear oil, we unveil the patina carrier rat rod look:

This thing took 6 hours to clean and prep for the gear install. What a pain in the ass. No more late night mudbogs for me. Luckily I was planning replacing the stock gears from the beginning so putting off axle seal replacements wasn't total negligence:

Welding up the rear truss in the basement (the only place I had 240V). Luckily I had help getting it down there and back up the the garage:

Ready to go back in, nothing like dropping your newly rebuilt axle on the ground trying to rotate it off the jackstands :eek: :roll:

Going to be putting in longer vent hoses in my truck next too:
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

The rear will hopefully be done tonight. I had to cut the bungs out of my upper links and take 6" out last night. Everything is ready to be tacked in a check for clearance tonight. The truss will need some major clearancing for my brake calipers. You would thing Barnes would make their axle specific truss work with the most common disk brake swap hardware. Oh well. Then it is time for a fluid check, trailer loading, packing , then off to Rausch in two days!
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Last fall at Rausch Creek, my trans started puking fluid badly ot of the bellhousing inspection hole. Did some reading that it was most likely the converter snout to pump seal since they are known for failing when hot. I bought the newer Viton seal from 03+ 4R100s (Napa 19966). I figured I should replace the pump to case seal, and stator sealing ring (transpartsonline.com 36311E and 36178AT). I had to spend some time finding part numbers, so putting in for someone else who might need.

I purchased ignition parts from Summit to do the Sixlitre tuneup that has been around for 5.0/5.8 for a while now. The truck hasn't had a good tuneup since I was daily driving it in 2010, and I've always been curious about it, so I'm going to do that this week too. (ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - Ford Bronco Forum)

Big Dogs Icebreakers bound this weekend :smokin:

More pictures to come as I finish up the work later this week

My "help" (even though he did a lot :laughing:

Even with an anchor and slide hammer the pump didn't want to come out.

I found out why pretty soon after. I didn't think to take the filter out :shaking:

Here is the old "undesirable" seal

New Viton seal
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE