Lets Talk Lockers

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Arya Ebrahimi wrote:Miller, you make a good point. A spool rear can be annoying, but is very predictable. An auto locker on the other hand can be annoying AND unpredictable.

I had a detroit in the back of my cherokee at one point and it took some getting used to. If I started into a curve on the throttle and then left off midway through the curve, I would undoubtedly change lanes as the locker unlocked and released the bind.
:confused2: I have a detroit in the rear and don't have an issue at all, at least not to the degree you're speaking of, it may require a very very minor steering adjustment in curves during throttle changes but it doesn't veer or change lanes by any means
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
Jwlman

Post by Jwlman »

shmoken875 wrote:
Arya Ebrahimi wrote:Miller, you make a good point. A spool rear can be annoying, but is very predictable. An auto locker on the other hand can be annoying AND unpredictable.

I had a detroit in the back of my cherokee at one point and it took some getting used to. If I started into a curve on the throttle and then left off midway through the curve, I would undoubtedly change lanes as the locker unlocked and released the bind.
:confused2: I have a detroit in the rear and don't have an issue at all, at least not to the degree you're speaking of, it may require a very very minor steering adjustment in curves during throttle changes but it doesn't veer or change lanes by any means
Having an auto probably helps yours out some over someone with a manual trans. Mine is just like Arya described, on the gas equals left and off the gas equals right
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Jwlman wrote:
shmoken875 wrote:

Having an auto probably helps yours out some over someone with a manual trans. Mine is just like Arya described, on the gas equals left and off the gas equals right
Mine was an auto lol, but it was definitely an issue.
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

Mine was never an issue, put 30k miles on with an Aussie in the back. Mine seemed to unlock smoothly. Now if you were coasting around a corner then got on the gas hard you could have some fun.
86 toy: the wheeler
99 F250 Powerstroke
05 KTM 525exc: woods weapon
03 XR650R
UNIMOG-GUY

cable lockers all the way....

Post by UNIMOG-GUY »

Trow,

Just buy some axles that have cable lockers. They are selectable and you don't have to worry about a selenoid burning out or air line getting torn or snaging on a branch or rock.
1965 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404 w/ MB-A 7 ton PTO winch and crawler gears for 413:1 crawl ratio, LPG
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1008 FOR SALE
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 w/ snowplow and H1 rims and 37" tires FOR SALE

An original member of the SC4WDA.