Big Blue Bus

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

Did some more work today. Put in a spreader bar on the b-hoop and made some triangulated tube pieces. also got a heater in the shop finally so we were able to work past dark for once. Thanks for the offer on using your heater James, I figured Ill need one in the future so I just went ahead and bought one.

Heres the spreader bar:

Everything was going great until we did the triangulation pieces. Everything fit fine notch-wise on mockup, but once we tacked them in, there were large gaps in the notches. We tried to weld them as-is, but it just wasnt going to work, so we had to cut them out and start over. Guess thats just how things go sometimes.

We figured out the problem was not in the notches, but in the Pipe Master we're using. Seemed as though when pressing the tool against a joint, it would create one side of the notch fine, but the other side would come out offset, as though the tube was twisted. We didnt figure out what happened until we had everything cut out. So for now on, on simple angle notches, well just do it by hand.

Hope to get the b-hoop completely finished tommorrow, and then place the axle at full bump, then bend up some more tube.

Id like some ideas on tieing the backhalf into the front area of the truck. Im thinking of running two tubes from the top of the b-hoop into the cab, along the ceiling and down the a-pillar. Then I would have another tube lower down the back "wall" which would be used as a door bar which I could mount seats and have a spreader bar across for harnesses. I thinking ill still have tube on the exterior on the roof and the windshield/a-pillar down to the front corner of the sliders.

Thoughts?
Treehugger v2.0

'16 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500SRW, Duramax

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

I think if you're going to have tube on the outside, keep it all outside. It's going to be a heavy bitch already... why add even more weight with redundant cages?
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

Finally got the notches where we needed them today on the triangulation pieces of the b-hoop. They make a decent node on the spreader bar. Here some pics:

Tommorrow were going to make the pieces that tie that node into the two frame rails, and some pieces from both bottom corners where the b-hoop meets the sliders to the frame. Should be fairly straightforward.
Treehugger v2.0

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

Finished the B-hoop completely today. Welded all the cross braces in and also welded the hoop to the sliders so we can finally move on placing the rear axle and continuing on with the tube work.

Tac'd up:

Welded up.

Nice node:

How the spreader bar is tied into the frame:
Treehugger v2.0

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

I really like how this truck is looking so far, cant wait to see it done
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Looking good Petey.

Might I suggest tying the slider over into the frame, perhaps creating a node with the lower diagonal tubes.
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

There will be a tube going from the b-hoop/slider intersection to to the frame once I get know where my lower links will be going. This things gonna be low so I wanted to make sure I have clearance in that area.
Treehugger v2.0

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

now petey .... i dont see you giving proper credit for the work being done.

i would like to thank Leach for building Peteys truck for him and i would like to thank myself for welding up half of that hoop.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

so wheres the 5 month update?
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

done with school after next week so ill probably do some work soon
Treehugger v2.0

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
zach119

Post by zach119 »

Come on Peter it's summertime now so we should see some updates after this weekend. Get this thing done this summer so you can wheel with us next semester :thumby:
-Zach

2003 Ford F150 work truck piece of crap- sold
1998 Dodge Ram, 35s, 456s- sold
2000 Powerstroke tow rig on DUBs- once rolled- sold
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi tow rig
1995 YJ on BLOCKS
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

After this weekend, ill have nothing to do, so there will be some updates soon.
Treehugger v2.0

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
MILLER

Post by MILLER »

jonesy wrote:now petey .... i dont see you giving proper credit for the work being done.

i would like to thank Leach for building Peteys truck for him and i would like to thank myself for welding up half of that hoop.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Wow, imagine that, Leach working on someone elses rig and not his own, and Cody taking credit for crappy welds.
Attachments
The real shocker
The real shocker
sliderFitment03.jpg (993.32 KiB) Viewed 19360 times
92 Toyota pickup, 5VZFE, SAS, 30 splines, football cover, spooled and welded, 4.10s, SOS prototype rear disc brake conversion, soon to be Maryland inspected
MILLER

Post by MILLER »

How's the bumper holding up Pete? Please don't tell me you got rid of it.
Attachments
swampThing.jpg
swampThing.jpg (1020.38 KiB) Viewed 19356 times
92 Toyota pickup, 5VZFE, SAS, 30 splines, football cover, spooled and welded, 4.10s, SOS prototype rear disc brake conversion, soon to be Maryland inspected
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

MILLER wrote: and Cody taking credit for crappy welds.
troof.

Jason! How ya been man? Ya that bumpers still on there and was holding up great about 2 years ago the last time I drove this thing. Will probably modify it once I finish the rear end for a better approach angle depending on how far I move the front axle forward. It might be perfect.

Gimme a call sometime man, we need to catch up. 434.444.1193

is that picture from the pond at your old house?
Treehugger v2.0

'07 WRF450F Supermoto