Ghetto Winch

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

BadAssEddie

Re: Ghetto Winch

Post by BadAssEddie »

alk1174 wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:11 pm I am no EE but I believe that an electronic motor draws it's most current when it's at or near stall. Which could mean you are harder on your electronic system if you are running a small winch at capacity versus jumping up a size.
You're right, it will be drawing more current, but that doesn't necessarily mean the unit will reach the end of its service life sooner. If you stay within the continuous and peak ratings of the motor, you won't damage the windings or PM's, which is how it would need to fail. With how infrequent off-road rig winch useage is, I think corrosion and lack of maintenance is the big killer. Another selling point for an IP6X rated winch.

I like the idea of a hot-rod 8274, now I just need to find the time and money.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
YellowDodgeBrian

Post by YellowDodgeBrian »

alk1174 wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:34 pm I have found that a winch is only as good as the electronics that back it up. To have a good dependable system you also need a good battery, a good alternator and heavy gauge wiring backing it up. So consider that in your price factor.

I had a friend that thought bigger is better when it comes to winches and went with a 18K. He found out that the cable is so heavy and bulky that its no fun to use and ended up getting a backup 9K to use for the majority of his use
That makes sense. I have auxiliary battery that pushes 3300 amps and some 0/1 wire laying around from my audio system so I already have an ok power supply so that wasn't really my concern but having to pull out that heavier cable would not be fun. Especially if I could save a few hundred dollars and have a just as dependable system.

Any thoughts on synthetic rope vs cable?
Can conquer anything in my path with my yellow turd. My truck doesn't burn oil it burns transfer cases at mile marker 187. My truck doesn't get dented it simply molds to it environment becoming faster and more agile. Patches is made from fence posts that were used to keep in the monsters from hell. Patches doesn't have horsepower, it has god power. Patches doesn't drive over rocks, it forces them beneath it because it is superior.
alk1174
Club President

Post by alk1174 »

I personally prefer cable. Its cheaper.It does not degrade in the sun. Its less likely to get cut by rocks and it's just more durable which to me equals dependabilty.
I have seen multiple synthetic breakages and never seen a cable break.

If I were running a full size I would run a 12k winch. I like for the winch to be double the rigs weight.