willhf1011

Re: YJ goes under the knife

Post by willhf1011 »

93 YJ Under Construction
UNIMOG-GUY

Post by UNIMOG-GUY »

Will,

The rear looks great better than the beat old jeep body. Two questions....

Where did you roll it?

And how many total hours is that time lapse shrunk down from?
1965 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404 w/ MB-A 7 ton PTO winch and crawler gears for 413:1 crawl ratio, LPG
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1008 FOR SALE
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 w/ snowplow and H1 rims and 37" tires FOR SALE

An original member of the SC4WDA.
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Will that time lapse was a really great idea, I've never seen anyone (besides TV builds) do that before.

Was it you that was thinking about building drive over fenders for your trailer? Was it Covington?
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

It was me, mine needs it with the width of my rig.

Chris, I figure there was about 25 hours worth of work put into it or so. Maybe a little more.
93 YJ Under Construction
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

willhf1011 wrote:It was me, mine needs it with the width of my rig.

Chris, I figure there was about 25 hours worth of work put into it or so. Maybe a little more.
I got 2 about 8ft long with one end already angled as partial payment for hauling some steel up from DC today if you're interested.
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
BadnewsCJ

Post by BadnewsCJ »

shmoken875 wrote: I got 2 about 8ft long.
2 fenders 8 ft long? That's like half the length of his trailer lol.
Nick
'79 Jeep
'99 F350 tow rig
'13 TDI Wagen DD
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

New fuel cell and pickups. After having mine dislodge in the roll and being bothered by how much space it took up, I'm switching to a 2161. Got the cell and the pickups from Liquid Iron and the rest of the plumbing is locally available.

I'm also taking this opportunity to redo the last bit of my fuel system I'm not happy with. The system should be totally rid of hose clamps after this and they will all be AN fittings. I don't think my system was adequate for the new motor as under load it really didn't have the kick at 4500 and up that I thought it should. I think I will soon step up to a new, larger fuel pump to replace the E2000. I'm also running all -08 line to feed the pump, hopefully removing pretty much any restrictions I had before.

93 YJ Under Construction
Username

Post by Username »

Any ideas on mounting the fuel cell? I've seen too many fatigue the aluminum from fuel sloshing and eventually start leaking. I'm curious if a mounting setup such as artec sells would be any better.

Also what brand fuel lines are you using? I haven't found many that are compatible with ethonol.

The E2000 fuel pump seems like an odd choice. Any idea on the pressure and flow requirements for your engine? I might have something better for you to try.

-Brian
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Color coded pickups and plumbing noone will ever see. Looks like something Id do lol. I like.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

Username wrote:Any ideas on mounting the fuel cell? I've seen too many fatigue the aluminum from fuel sloshing and eventually start leaking. I'm curious if a mounting setup such as artec sells would be any better.

Also what brand fuel lines are you using? I haven't found many that are compatible with ethonol.

The E2000 fuel pump seems like an odd choice. Any idea on the pressure and flow requirements for your engine? I might have something better for you to try.

-Brian
I will likely put together some sort of cradle at the base of it and then run aluminum straps up and around the top with rubber padding under the strap similar to the way many of the KOH rigs do for theirs. I would like the Artec mount, but can't quite justify the cost. I saw a used one for sale on Pirate a while back that I may have to chase down.

I'm currently running Russell ProFlex. Summit doesn't list it under its Ethanol compatible fuel lines (but they list their own braided line) although Russell does note that its compatible with all alcohol based fuels. I'm considering switching to Fragola braided nylon. There are a lot of KOH guys running it with no issues. However, since my system is currently plumbed with mostly Ruseell, I will likely try to minimize the ethanol heavy fuel that I run for the time being and maybe eventually convert the whole thing if I think I'm beginning to have issues.

I'm running the E2000 because I had it on my 2.5 and had read of a decent number of people having success with it on their LS based motors (putting out around stock power). I will admit that I never really ran the numbers, I just wanted to try it with the pump I already had, it worked, so I left it.

I think I very well may have been underfeeding it, which may also contribute to some of the overheating issues during hard, high speed running.

from my reading, 5.3 call for 30gph @ 60 psi. E2000 is rated at 30-40gph and 70-95 psi, but that doesn't mean it can sustain both of those ratings at the same time. The pumps seem to be hit or miss for LS motors and whether or not they work.

What pump are you running on your motor Brian? I'm considering swapping to an E8248 to maintain local parts store availability, or just going for a tried and true Walbro GLS392.
93 YJ Under Construction
Username

Post by Username »

I'm running a Holley in-tank pump designed for TPI and retro-fitted to the stock sending unit.

I'd like to switch to a fuel cell and external pump setup. However I'm not finding many external pumps rated for continuous use near 60 psi, easily adaptable to -an fittings, and not approaching $300. The Mallory 110FI is on the top my list but it is pricey. I have a Mallory 60FI I've been tempted to try but I don't think it will handle the increased pressure at a suitable flow.

The abundance of plastic parts and odd inlet/outlet fittings on the E2000, E8248, and GLS392 have been enough to steer me away. Is parts store availability really a factor? I can't remember the last time the parts house actually had a part I wanted in stock.
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

Most parts stores (Advance, Autozone) keep an E2000 in stock and could get an E8248 on at most a days notice. Walbro's not so much.

I'm going away from plastic fittings all together as well and will be running AN connections everywhere in my new system (except for the hard line in the tank). The walbro has 10mm threads at each end of the pump, so you can easily screw an adapter, like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-670480/overview/ into it and avoid all plastic fittings, which is my plan if and when I switch to one.
93 YJ Under Construction
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

Username wrote: I have a Mallory 60FI I've been tempted to try but I don't think it will handle the increased pressure at a suitable flow.
I find that listed as 60 gph @ 55 psi, is that correct? Do you think your going to be asking even that much of it? Are you running stock injectors in your motor? I can't imagine you would need more than 40-50gph max unless you are running some wicked injectors
93 YJ Under Construction
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Plus it never sees North of 2000 RPM :lol2:
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
Username

Post by Username »

60 gph at 0 psi
40 gph at 40psi
~0 gph at 55 psi
Plus it never sees North of 2000 RPM
That's still 2000 RPM more than you slick.