Got My New Whip!

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

So Ive been working on the diesel every night after work and in an effort to start troubleshooting why it wont run I took the starter and batteries into Advance to get checked, the batteries were fine but the starter was totally dead (which is weird because it still turned over??) a new starter is $260. There was no way I was going to pay that so I spent tonight rebuilding the old starter. I took it apart and inspected it; I found that on eof the brush springs was bad and not forcing the brush down on the coil. I rebent the spring, cleaned the coils and brushes, put fresh grease on the bearings, cleaned out the carbon dust, cleaned the electrical connection and put some dieslectric grease on the fittings, and cleaned the housing. I have a feeling that the faulty spring was causing the starter to not function properly, so I will take it back to advance before I put it back to retest. This way I should get a faster crank to maybe get the engine started since its warm outside now. Also Will suggested that I look into the PMD. Ill be doing that tomorrow. I will also bei going to the junkyard to get a rear axle. More updates when I get more headway.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

I need to stand corrected here. I was being stupid that night when I told you to look into the PMD. The PMD is a really common problem on 6.5s and and will cause symptoms much like you have, but the 6.2's dont have them I don't think, so thats not a likely problem for you haha
93 YJ Under Construction