leaking oil?

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

jstables

leaking oil?

Post by jstables »

I have a 1991 s10 blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 gen 1 v-6 and everything is stock on the engine and where the remote oil filter/oil filter relocation kit bolts to the bottom of the block is leaking oil like crazy and I put a new seal kit in it from Advance but it didn't fit or was the wrong thing. Then at Napa the guy told me that they had nothing like in their inventory and he tried to tell me it was not stock? Has anyone worked on this engine that could provide some tips or know what I'm talking about? Like whether these trucks came stock with relocated oil filters or not.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

They did. There is not room there with the drive shaft for the front differential. It's all stock pieces, and should be available from GM. If not you can buy mostly aftermarket pieces to replace it.

You need to make sure it is not the hoses. Most of the time the crimp in the hoses starts to leak on them. I have a theory on how to fix that, but it is as of yet untested since our blazers with the remote filters are not leaking all that bad yet.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
jstables

Post by jstables »

yeh that is what i thought cause i replaced the front axle and there is no way that it wasnt stock but it is leaking right where the it bolts to the engine above the drive shaft and is not the hoses.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Then I'd say you've pinched an o-ring when installing it. That or it is cracked. Much more likely that you pinched the o-ring when installing it. Use some vasoline to hold it in place as you install it. I'd go to GM and get the factory parts for it instead of the Advance Auto/Asshat Zone stuff. The GM is the original parts, what the parts stores sell is an educated guess at best.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool: