Where to go this weekend?

Moderator: Club Officers

VT_Alum

Where to go this weekend?

Post by VT_Alum »

Hi all - I've just bought my first Jeep ('15 JKU Sahara, stock) after many years of performance (faster, more luxurious) cars and have been loving the change. Coming to Bbg Friday to see my son and for the Spring Game and thought about taking a quick trail ride if there is one that is easy, close and quick. Don't need anything technical or difficult, just want to get off-road and have some fun.

Can you help me find a legal drive nearby that I can do safely - and probably alone. Don't know where to go but want to go!

Thanks
turnbull

Re: Where to go this weekend?

Post by turnbull »

Your best bet is Mtn Lake. Its about 45 min away and will be no problem for a stock 4wd vehicle.
'15 JK Sport w/ 31.5" Duratracs, 3.6l Pentastar, 6-speed manual, 4.10 gears, Detroit TrueTracs front and rear
turnbull

Post by turnbull »

Also it is a dirt road, but since it will be raining all weekend it is gunna be muddy up there. There might be a few puddles too, but a lot of them have bypasses. Just a heads up that you are gunna get muddy.
'15 JK Sport w/ 31.5" Duratracs, 3.6l Pentastar, 6-speed manual, 4.10 gears, Detroit TrueTracs front and rear
VT_Alum

Post by VT_Alum »

Thanks turnbull! I don't mind muddy, it needs a bath anyway.

I know where Mountain Lake Lodge is, was just there in the fall. Is the road/trail near there? How do I find it?
VT-05WK

Post by VT-05WK »

When exactly are you trying to go? Depending on the time, I'd be open open to going and leading the way
05 WK - SOLD
98 ZJ w/ Ford axles, Maxxis Taars, Long Arms etc.
11 Duramax
WhiteRhino
Vice President

Post by WhiteRhino »

ill go too, just let us know what time your thinking about going
1999 Tacoma, 3 inch bilstein/eibach lift, 35s, locked front and rear
--VBYOTA--

To punish and enslave….. :thumby:
turnbull

Post by turnbull »

IF you go alone, here are directions:

One of the trailheads is near the lodge, but I would suggest taking the other trailhead because it is easier to give directions from that one.

-Take 460W to Doe Creek Rd

-Once on Doe Creek Rd, make a left on Little Meadow Rd (for these first 2 steps, I would suggest taking a look at a map just so you have an idea of where you are going. Once you turn onto Little Meadow Rd, you are basically on your own)

-Once you turn onto Little Meadow Rd., you are at the start of the trail

-Make sure you stay on the main trail unless you want a $500 ticket. Don't drive your vehicle off to the side.

-At some point, the trail will split, with one trail 90 degrees to the left going uphill, and one trail straight ahead going downhill. I suggest going left so you can see the fire tower.

-If you go left, you will be going uphill pretty much all the way to the fire tower. You will know when you are at the fire tower because the trail will split. The main trail veers off to the right, and the trail straight ahead is blocked by a closed gate. You can get out of your vehicle and follow this blocked off trail for about 1/4 mile to the fire tower.

-Once you are moving again, you will eventually come to a 4 way. Go straight to stay on the main trail. If you go right, it will bring you back to where the trail split the first time where you had the choice of going left or straight (if you decided to go straight originally, then turn right when you get to the 4-way to stay on the main trail). I don't know where the left trail leads.

-if you go straight, then you will eventually come to a T intersection where you can go right or left. Go right, and stay on this road all of the way to 460. This is known as Mtn Lake Rd.
VT_Alum

Post by VT_Alum »

Thanks All! I really appreciate the input and advice.

I am not sure when we are going. Figuring out plans with my son and the football game. Getting to Bbg about 5pm tonight.

Might go out in the morning before the game.
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

It takes about 2-3hrs to run the trail, so kinda keep that in mind. Im also free today and tomorrow if anyone else wants to make a run.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
turnbull

Post by turnbull »

FJCcrawler wrote:It takes about 2-3hrs to run the trail, so kinda keep that in mind. Im also free today and tomorrow if anyone else wants to make a run.
I agree with that time frame, though it might take a little longer if you haven't run it before and if you decide to stop at the fire tower.

I personally prefer driving up there at night, but if you go in the morning, you will get a nice view of the landscape at the fire tower.
WhiteRhino
Vice President

Post by WhiteRhino »

thinking about running it tonight since there wouldn't be enough time tomorrow because of the game so who wants to go tonight?
1999 Tacoma, 3 inch bilstein/eibach lift, 35s, locked front and rear
--VBYOTA--

To punish and enslave….. :thumby:
VT_Alum

Post by VT_Alum »

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the input. Unfortunately I never got time to go up there - maybe on the next visit!

I will post a message when I know I am going.
harrynguyen

Post by harrynguyen »

It takes about 2-3hrs to run the trail, so kinda keep that in mind. Im also free today and tomorrow if anyone else wants to make a run.
:beer: :beer: :beer: