What to do with my 4runner?

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

VerticalTRX
Club President

What to do with my 4runner?

Post by VerticalTRX »

Trying to make a rational decision about what to do with my '97 4runner which was my DD. For those that don't know its a 3.4L, 5 speed, SR5, on Old Man Emu 880/890 suspension with 265/75R16 tires. It's got about 280,000mi on it, it's completely rust free but has body damage to the entire driver side from being rolled and on the front end from hitting a deer at 40mph. It was a very clean rig before those two incidents.

Problems:
-blown head gasket and the motor sat like that for a while and was hydrolocked, cleaned it out and the motor started fine, but that can't be good (I'm envisioning some stuck rings at the least on that cylinder)
-needs timing belt and water pump (last change was 200K ago)
-rear window doesn't work
-rear main seal leaking
-needs new CV boots
-lots of little things that creep up on a 20yr old truck
-needs grille, front bumper, front fenders, doors (have those), etc

I'm figuring it will cost me at least $2000 and many hours of my time to fix this right and proper, just not sure if it's worth it. I've thought about selling it as is (probably wouldn't get much for it), trying to fix it as cheap as possible and keep driving it, fix it right (which may mean a whole new motor), and so on. Thoughts?
'79 F-150
'49 CJ-3A
TerryD

Re: What to do with my 4runner?

Post by TerryD »

Buy another one, swap on your parts and keep getting it if you like having it.
Turd Ferguson

Post by Turd Ferguson »

For 2000 you can buy my 78 ford....
redneckrapunzel

Post by redneckrapunzel »

Let wong work his fender magic on it put it on 37s and wheel it!
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

If the 4runner means anything to you, than definitely keep it. I would, 3rd gens with the 5 speed are a diamond in the rough, I would absolutely kill for a 5 speed in my turd bucket. I learned to wheel on my dads old 5 speed tacoma. That old 3.4 is honestly nearing its end, the amount of money youre going to have to put into it to get it running right, youre just better off getting a lower mileage 3.4 swapping that in possibly with a nice TRD supercharger. :brow:

As much as I would like to see a solid axle and 37s underneath it, that may be way too expensive and too much work.

Realistically...
-newer 3.4 swap
-make your own bumper, get a grille and fenders from a junkyard, put the new doors on
-lunchbox in the rear
-33-35s ( 37s are bad af on ifs, but would not recommend for anyone else, 35s are really the absolute max for the drivetrain)
I think you can do that in a $2000-$2500 range if you can find a deal on some tires and itd be a badass/comfortable DD and itd be a badass wheeler.

All else fails, I wouldnt mind buying another 4runner. :lol2:
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

I'm not sure I would put in the time and effort to fix it to the extent you are thinking, unless there is another reason like sentimental value. In my mind, severe body damage or the like is the catalyst for a vehicle to be transitioned into a wheeling rig. But, you already have a rig and this would likely be in a odd middle ground that wouldn't be used often.

If it were me, I would fix it the minimum amount to get it running and driving, beat out the worst of the dents and sell it.

Edit: Wong makes a good point about the 3.4/5 speed combo. It might be worth keeping and putting the effort into DD/wheeler work (tube bumpers, engine swap, etc) over colliosn repair work (swapping stock panels and honing cylinders,etc). So, all said and done, my advise is contradictory and of little help :flipoff2:
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
HintonYota

Post by HintonYota »

If you do decide to keep it and go taller, or part it out I might be interested in the coils. :mrgreen:
2002 4Runner Sport
VerticalTRX
Club President

Post by VerticalTRX »

Sounds like a junk yard motor swap and keep driving it is the consensus. I do like the 3rd gen 4runners and I did have to look long and far for one with a 5spd, so I probably shouldn't get rid of it.

I'll probably keep it as is, maybe even drop back to a P-rated 265/70R16 tire for a better ride. A lightweight vehicle on load range E 265/75R16s rides awful. I have wheeled it quite a bit, as well as my previous Tacoma, and even in stock for these vehicles are plenty capable for what I need. I mostly want something comfortable, reliable and thrifty to drive.

As for the motor, I guess replacing with a junkyard motor is easier and cheaper than rebuilding my current motor. One thing that scares me away from doing too much internal on these motors is parts. Seems like aftermarket/parts store parts are just garbage compared to OEM Toyota stuff. On the other hand, OEM Toyota stuff is very good (and all I use thus far) but very pricey. What does a good, under 150K, 3.4L generally go for from a junkyard?
'79 F-150
'49 CJ-3A
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

VerticalTRX wrote:Sounds like a junk yard motor swap and keep driving it is the consensus. I do like the 3rd gen 4runners and I did have to look long and far for one with a 5spd, so I probably shouldn't get rid of it.

I'll probably keep it as is, maybe even drop back to a P-rated 265/70R16 tire for a better ride. A lightweight vehicle on load range E 265/75R16s rides awful. I have wheeled it quite a bit, as well as my previous Tacoma, and even in stock for these vehicles are plenty capable for what I need. I mostly want something comfortable, reliable and thrifty to drive.

As for the motor, I guess replacing with a junkyard motor is easier and cheaper than rebuilding my current motor. One thing that scares me away from doing too much internal on these motors is parts. Seems like aftermarket/parts store parts are just garbage compared to OEM Toyota stuff. On the other hand, OEM Toyota stuff is very good (and all I use thus far) but very pricey. What does a good, under 150K, 3.4L generally go for from a junkyard?
I've seen them go anywhere from $800-$1800, just depends who you get it from. I fully support keeping it and keeping it as a DD. Like I said, the 3.4 and 5 speed is a badass combo I wish I could have.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
VerticalTRX
Club President

Post by VerticalTRX »

I called around and there were several motors available, the lowest mile one was around 100K for $1350. Not a bad deal, might go that route but I think I'll tear my motor down first and see what kind of shape its in and what rebuilding it will cost.
'79 F-150
'49 CJ-3A
HintonYota

Post by HintonYota »

Found this when I was cruising craigslist looking for other stuff. Looks kinda sketchy but might be worth looking into for 250 or less.
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/pts/5783342462.html
2002 4Runner Sport