my 1:6 nylint mods...leach smells bad

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

jonesy

my 1:6 nylint mods...leach smells bad

Post by jonesy »

i am even taking / drawing pictures...mainly because im bored...

so the first, and most obvious, is to get rid of all that low-hanging, roastbeef-curtain-emulating junk they call accessories. i.e. the light bar and skid plates (who needs skid plates anyway? its rock crawling, not rock sliding :roll: )

like so...

and so...

and so...

Next i needed to clearance their sorry excuse for a link suspension. areas that i cut out are in red

rear axle, here:

and here:

front axle, here:

then i got to thinking about the instability that i experienced in the three hours that i got to play with the toy before i broke it :roll: From my extensive experience in rock crawling (read: my ability to web wheel on the PBB), I had learned about how some people, in an attempt to add weight where it is needed most (the tires), would partially fill their tires with water. I pondered this for a moment and decided that if it works of 1:1 crawlers, then why wouldnt it work on 1:6 crawlers?

Do add some RTV to both halves of the wheel where it meets the tire, and also where the outer half of the rim passes through the tire. this helps the tire retain the water you put in it..

be liberal with the RTV, the tolerances we are dealing with arent exactly small..

of course i am using the best RTV known to mankind...

pull off the hub covers...

tilt on its side and add water here...

i did notice that the internal beadlock partially prevents the water from getting into the tire. rather, it traps the water in the centermost part of the wheel. the fix? fill the center with water and squeeze the air out of the outside of the tire...nothing is left to fill the void but water.

NOTE: let the tires sit upright in the sink for the night so that the water can find its level...alot of it will drain out, but enough will be left to make a difference...i hope :o

jonesy

Post by jonesy »

things i have learned:

1) i am a huge geek

2) i am really bored

3) im not as big a geek as leach

4) rtv cleans up nicely with isopropyl alcohol

5) rtv is sticky

6)??????

7) i have nudes on request

8) just kidding

9) but seriously, i do.