So Tyler....

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

Steinberg

So Tyler....

Post by Steinberg »

when are you going to tell us about the duece? I've seen you driving it around town. who owns the tan one?
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.
Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

furthermore, you should be reminded that this is a FOUR wheel drive club. I recommend you pull one of your axles out to meet this requirement... preferably the front one.... and put it under my box truck.
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.
bullydog

Post by bullydog »

No I got dibs on the rear axle when he pulls it out.
tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

:flipoff2:

I guess I should have posted up something by now. This thing is fuggin sweet. It is actually in really good shape and has a lot of little extras that most deuces don't have. The most noticeable difference is the tires. It came with brand new Michelin XLs which are taller and wider and have much better traction than the NDTs that usually come on military trucks. It's got 2 springer seats instead of benches for a cumfy ride, air shift front axle, and a hard top. I might rather have the soft top so it would be easier to take the top off in the summer, but the hard top is worth more. It's also got the C "whistler" turbo.

Here's some pics.

Picking up first truck in Kennesaw

Lining up for the tow at Dobbins AFB

Airing up

Girfriend got her turn behind the wheel

Me on right, Sam on left, w/ stogies

Stopping for fuel

Almost as big as the house

Quarter... The only miles these tires have on them is from Atlanta to Blacksburg.

New spare!

That's a big ass

Plush interior!

The truck is FOR SALE so if you're interested, just let me know!
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"
tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

Oh yea and the tan one belongs to a friend. He's paying me to deliver it to him in NOVA. I'll be leaving to take it in.....about 8 hours...

Recovering his will more than pay for the cost to recover mine.
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"
tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

Here's the story of the recovery. It's copy/pasted directly from my thread on steelsoldiers.com, so some of it is directed toward the members there.
I'm in the pep band at Virginia Tech and we were down in Atlanta for the ACC tournament so that proved to be the perfect time to recover the trucks. I got one and I picked up one for Don (HeadWizard). I picked up both trucks on Wednesday and stored them/worked on them until Saturday when the epic journey began. The original plan was to tow Don's truck with mine using a tow bar, but it became immediately obvious that wouldn't work out. I towed his truck 20 miles initially and the steering got crossed up 4 times. Both trucks ran without issue so I decided to have a friend drive the other truck back with me and then we could use the tow bar if we had an issue.

We left Atlanta at around 4pm on Saturday and got home at 8 this morning. The trip took a long time because we stopped to rest several times and stopped for dinner to see a friend in Chattanooga. We were just generally taking our time. We didn't want to put a big strain on the equipment or ourselves. Our caravan was the two deuces and my Civic wagon which some of you remember from the Virginia rally last year. It was definitely a learning experience.

Lesson 1. Driving a deuce on the interstate at night in the pouring rain sucks BIG TIME. I've done a lot of reading on this site, but somehow I missed the part about the deuce cab being not waterproof. We stopped about 60 miles from our final destination and slept at a rest stop because the rain was so hard. I was getting soaked in my truck while my friend was just annoyed in Don's. It is hard to see out a windshield when there is water running down the outside and inside of it. Things got a little better after I started stuffing paper towels in all the little cracks.

Lesson 2. Tell your friend to downshift when he slows down on a hill at the beginning of the trip, not half way through after you assumed he would already know this. We spent a lot of time waiting for him to catch up thinking the truck was just slower.

Lesson 3. Definitely check out your truck (or at least have someone go look at it for you) before you pick it up. My life was made a lot easier because I had SETOYOTA go check out a few things and that really put my mind at ease. It also decreased the amount of things I had to bring with me for the recovery.

Lesson 4. Some of you have no idea how nice it is to not have to drive the truck home directly from the base. I now have an appreciation for this. Definitely bid locally to you or at least have a friend with some facilities that you can use close by to the truck.

Lesson 5. Whistler turbo > non whistler turbo.

Lesson 6. You have to have a cigar in your mouth when you're driving a deuce. Don't ask why. You just do!

All in all it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. I'll definitely be more prepared next time. The only issue with either truck is that my brake lights and blinkers wouldn't work when I picked it up. The blinkers started working about half way through the trip so I'm not sure whats up there. I'm sure I'll find out soon as I'll be diving into it in the next few weeks. I was extremely fortunate with my truck because all the Michelin XLs are brand new (even the spare), it looks like the oil was just changed (still clean), and it had a full tank of fuel when I picked it up.