Trouble removing balljoint from steering knuckle

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

maybs

Trouble removing balljoint from steering knuckle

Post by maybs »

Okay, so this isn't on a 4x4... still looking for one of those (current target is a sammy)... it's on a '97 cavalier. The main objective is to replace the noisy front passenger-side hub assembly. I've done this before on a '91 cavalier and I don't remember having to disconnect any steering linkages. Looks like I'm not that lucky now. The hub assembly does not want to slide on out so I guess I have to follow the Hayne's manual which says to disconnect the steering stabilizer from the control arm (done), and disconnect the balljoint from the steering knuckle. I've gotten the nut backed off, and I've banged the crap out of the boss on the steering knuckle, but I can't seem to get the balljoint to break loose. Apparently there is a tool called a balljoint separator that can help here. Does anybody have such a device? Any other suggestions are certainly welcome! I'll be seeing some of you at Uwharrie... I'm riding shotgun with Krantz.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

pickle fork, maybe?
maybs

Post by maybs »

affende wrote:pickle fork, maybe?
Yes, I read that a pickle fork should be the last resort since it can mess up the rubber boot. Do I really need to disconnect the ball joint to remove the hub anyway? I don't see how it is going to help. I now remember using a 3-jaw puller the last time I had to do this (different car), and I didn't disconnect any of the steering. Would that be a problem?
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

true about the pickle fork, it will rape the rubber boot for everything it is worth....3 jaw puller would be much better, depending on whether or not you have room to fit it in there...

im not familiar with the cavalier, but i dont know why you would need to disconnect the steering and the knuckle to replace the hub itself... :confused2:
maybs

Post by maybs »

Update: I gave up on disconnecting the balljoint. I went the 3-jaw puller route and the hub came right out. I suppose it would have been a little easier to work with if everything was disconnected, but I got it done. Thanks for the input!
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

good to hear.