Ford Super Duty 7.3L Injectors

Tow Rig, Diesel and Trailer Tech Discussion

Moderator: Club Officers

Fonger

Ford Super Duty 7.3L Injectors

Post by Fonger »

I'm trying to source some new injectors for my dad's pickup. 2000 Ford F-350 7.3L diesel. The existing ones are leaking and it's hard to start. I'm trying to find some ones that are decent, but all of them I'm finding are like $400-$500 each. Let me know....

Thanks,

-Adam
I feel like a hundred bucks...
ford150

injectors

Post by ford150 »

are the injectors leaking or just o rings? blue ridge diesel i think can test them for you
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

http://www.diy-injectors.com/

What are the symptoms? How many miles. Glow plugs and relay good? Have you done a buzz test on the injectors?
86 toy: the wheeler
99 F250 Powerstroke
05 KTM 525exc: woods weapon
03 XR650R
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

Okay. Glow plugs are good and so is the relay. The truck has about 255,000 miles on it. I have no idea what a buzz test is. The truck is at a shop getting this work done because nobody has anytime to fool with this stuff right now. Symptoms are as follows, truck is really difficult to start when it's cold. For instance sitting overnight. Once it has started it runs like hell for about 5-15 minutes. Even when the temperature is above 30-degrees. We had to plug it in on a 50-degree day to get it started. Basically what we are being told is that the injectors are leaking air past the o-rings and making it difficult to start. Once the engine warms up everything swells and seals up an the truck runs fine. I'm leery of replacing just the o-rings on 255,000 mile injectors, I'd just assume replace them or refurbish them so they work like they should. I don't want to be back into this engine in 6 months because I didn't fix it right the first time. Let me know what you guys think. I'm trying to get this thing fixed without having to pay $4000-$5000 for a new set of injectors, but I may have to.

Thanks,
-Adam
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

We just replaced some recently in a 6.0. What we were told, and what we did, was only replace the bad ones. you can test the injectors to see if they are working properly and due to their cost they are kind of a "if it aint broke dont fix it item". It does run the risk of having you have to tear back into it before too long, but at the cost of the injectors, thats a risk we were willing to take.
93 YJ Under Construction
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

Also if you decide to replace all the injectors a a full set can be had for 2000-2500 but that of course doesn't factor in the labor of having someone else put them in. BD comes to mind as a source

Edit: did some searching and they can be had for under 2k for stock replacements (after sending your core back in) check out industrial injection
93 YJ Under Construction
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

A buz test is done with a scanner that works on Powerstrokes.
It sends a signal to each injector and waits for a response with engine off. This can tell if the electrical system side of the injector including the IDM,harness,uvc harness,injector solenoid is all working. The buz test test each cylinder.
The buz test does not check the mechanical part of injectors such as poppet valves or nozzles. You can pass all buzz test and have bad injector.
Cylinder contribution test using same scanner will test with engine running and show if any are not contributing power

Usually when the O rings are leaking you will get a lot of blue smoke and an oily tail pipe.

Do you have smokey start ups? What color?
99 F250 Powerstroke
03 XR650R
Slinkey

Post by Slinkey »

light on fire
roll down hill
buy Cummins

J/K...atleast it's not a 6.0
00 TJ, Mall Rated, couple beauty marks, new facelift
10 Ram - RIP
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

what good would it do him to have a good motor with a dodge around it. :flipoff2:
99 F250 Powerstroke
03 XR650R
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Stinson wrote:what good would it do him to have a good motor with a dodge around it. :flipoff2:
:lol2:
ford150

orings

Post by ford150 »

theres not that much labor involved changing orings and can be a fairly inexpensive job...o rings are only about $10 a cyl.
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

That's the thing. This truck doesn't smoke AT ALL. From cold start ups to wide open throttle it won't smoke ever. I'm just hoping it isn't something like the injection pump going bad. However, I'd bet it's cheaper than a set of injectors. However, if the injection pump was bad it would run like hell all the time and not just when you're starting it.
Stinson wrote:
Usually when the O rings are leaking you will get a lot of blue smoke and an oily tail pipe.

ford150

injectors

Post by ford150 »

will let fuel loose prime and slowly building up when trying to start
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

Fonger wrote:That's the thing. This truck doesn't smoke AT ALL. From cold start ups to wide open throttle it won't smoke ever. I'm just hoping it isn't something like the injection pump going bad. However, I'd bet it's cheaper than a set of injectors. However, if the injection pump was bad it would run like hell all the time and not just when you're starting it.
Stinson wrote:

Is it worse after it sits? Check the high pressure oil pump res. after its sits for a day or so. If may be leaking down, and it wont start cause the injectors dont have the oil pressure to open them.
99 F250 Powerstroke
03 XR650R