Faulty Clockspring? '97 XJ

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Fonger

Faulty Clockspring? '97 XJ

Post by Fonger »

I replaced the heater core in Amy's '97 XJ last week. This job requires removing the steering column. The removal/re-installation of the column was not fun, at best. During this removal/re-installation the wheel was turned several times while not being attached to the steering shaft, essentially spinning free. During one of those turns I heard a pop in the wheel. I was so pissed at that point I went ahead and installed everything and figured I'd deal with it later. Well, now is later....I now have no horn, no cruise, and my airbag light is on. I think the pop I heard was me breaking my clockspring and thus rendering my steering wheel controls and airbags useless. Please let me know what you all think. I want to figure this out before I start throwing parts at it since a new clockspring is about $150-$200.
I feel like a hundred bucks...
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Yup thats the clockspring without a doubt. I've replace mine before. Its essentially a wound up tape wire inside of a hub. So if it got twisted to a certain point it would definitely break the tape wire inside shorting out everything in the steering wheel. Its not a hard install. Should take maybe an hour. My advice would be to get one from a junkyard locally for a little cheaper.
DD: 2003 GC Limited, 4.7L
Trail Rig: hmmm
Slinkey

Post by Slinkey »

definitely sounds like the clock spring. just make sure you have the wheel oriented right when you install the new one, if the clock spring is wound too much in one direction, it will break, so if you don't start with it centered properly, you can break the new one making a full turn. I will post if I find a good write up online.
-Mike
00 TJ, Mall Rated, couple beauty marks, new facelift
10 Ram - RIP
Slinkey

Post by Slinkey »

This isn't something I would replace with a used part if at all possible, but if necessary:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-05-Je ... 1001r15076
10 Ram - RIP
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

Thanks. I did some digging around here locally for a used replacement at a junkyard. Downside to used is that you have to buy the entire steering column. Since the airbag won't work without the clockspring you have to buy the whole thing. A complete column from a junkyard around here runs about $400. I can get a clockspring from a dealer locally for about $200. I'll probably just go ahead and order a new piece from a dealer. Better safe than sorry, especially since my wife drives it everyday. Plus, they didn't have the color I wanted at the junkyard. :mrgreen:
I feel like a hundred bucks...
Slinkey

Post by Slinkey »

Better off with a new one anyway. If you get one used and it has ever been exposed to the elements and has any corrosion, you could have intermittent problems that would drive you crazy or another epic fail and be back to where you are now.
10 Ram - RIP
MILLER

Post by MILLER »

Haha. Stupid jeeps.
92 Toyota pickup, 5VZFE, SAS, 30 splines, football cover, spooled and welded, 4.10s, SOS prototype rear disc brake conversion, soon to be Maryland inspected