Burning Oil???

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

tsouth07

Burning Oil???

Post by tsouth07 »

The jeep gremlins are at it again with 115k miles. My jeep is going through a quart of oil every 50 miles. There appears to be no leaks whatsoever. When I start my Sahara there is no smoke for about 30 seconds. After that 30 seconds there is some light grey smoke. The inside of my exhaust tip is black with the outside being black from 1/4" from the tip. I believe it's burning my oil like crazy. Any suggestions? I appreciate the help.
97JEEPTJ

Post by 97JEEPTJ »

If it's burning that much oil, it'd typically be a blue-ish smoke, and you sure should be able to smell it.

This is a wrangler/TJ? 4.0L?
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

I wouldnt say it's blueish, atleast not at first crank but I can get a wiff of it when I open the vents up going down the road. Perhaps if I let it idle 5-10 minutes Id get the blue smoke. The engine itself is clean as a whistle with no leaks around the valve covers. Any addatives you'd recommend adding to the oil, or perhaps something else to look for? Greatly appreciate all help!
97JEEPTJ

Post by 97JEEPTJ »

What engine? 4.0L?
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

My apologies, left that part out before. It is indeed the 4.0 inline 6.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

need to re-seat the rings it sounds like. Easy to do, but must be done right to work and not bust the motor...
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

Reseat the rings huh? I just find it rather odd how this just started all of a sudden. never dripped a drop or burnt any oil whatsoever.... JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

possibly broke a ring if it just happened suddenly. Are you noticing a loss in power or getting oil pumping out in the airbox?
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

I havent noticed a drop in power, then again I hadnt driven it for close to 2 months. As far as the airbox goes, I've got a k&n ram-air under the hood. Anything else to take a gander at???? Thanks once again
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

are you getting any blow by out the dipstick? if your ring(s) are on their way out there should be some compression in the crankcase
93 YJ Under Construction
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

no blowout by the dipstick, no leaks/drips anywhere.
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

when is the last time you actually had the motor up to operating temp for an extended period of time? You said you had not driven it in the past few months, so when was the last oil change. If you do a lot of starts and never get up to temp, you can build up moisture in the oil, then when you get it hot on a good long drive with will evaporate out and appear as if you lost oil.

Change oil and monitor it. Smoke on decel is rings. Smoke on accel is valve seals.

If there is oil burning pull the plugs. Find the black one. Do a compression test.

Hopefully you will find that the oil was just low, and that you dont have a problem.
86 toy: the wheeler
99 F250 Powerstroke
05 KTM 525exc: woods weapon
03 XR650R
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

very informative. many thanks. i do believe the whole moistue deal may be wishful thinking as I've put in quit a few quarts within the past week. hopefully after new years I'll run that compression test and go from there.
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Stinson wrote:
Change oil and monitor it. Smoke on decel is rings. Smoke on accel is valve seals.

Interesting, never knew that
Last edited by shmoken875 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

usually thats the case with light blue smoke. If its smoking like a freight train all the time then you have some major issues.
86 toy: the wheeler
99 F250 Powerstroke
05 KTM 525exc: woods weapon
03 XR650R