Burning Oil???

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

tsouth07 wrote:no blowout by the dipstick, no leaks/drips anywhere.
he said blow by not blow out. Blow by means there is a problem with your pistons/rings and the compression charge is getting by the pistons and into the crank case. With the engine running, take the dip sick out and feel if there is pressurized air coming out of the dip tube.
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

You can also notice a slight gasoline smell to the oil where it is contaminated with the intake charge during compression.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

Maybe figure it this weekend. throw a reply when its figured out. thanks guys
tsouth07

Post by tsouth07 »

Bad news...Definately the rings/valves. Costly to be 100% sure and pull it all apart. Thinking it will be cheaper to just replace it... I am going to post a new thread on engine swaps. Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Well, if you can get a good idea whether or not its the valves then you have a whole lot less work to do (valvejob vs. rebuild).

If you can find another cylinder head on the cheap throw it on and see what happens.

An 87 blazer I used to own had some bad valve stem seals. It started off like some bad piston rings (a little smoke on startup, then would go away). Over the course of several months the truck became known as "the mosquito killer" with how much it smoked.

I tossed on another set of heads that were laying around the shop (and took the opportunity to stab a better cam in) and the problem was solved.