Gas pedal sticks, Trans won't shift when cold

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

97JEEPTJ

Gas pedal sticks, Trans won't shift when cold

Post by 97JEEPTJ »

Lately, every time I've gotten into the Jeep when it has been sitting a while (overnight, or for a few hours in very cold weather), the gas pedal sticks. With more pressure on the gas pedal, I can move it beyond the sticking point, and it will move freely thereafter. I traced the sticking to one of the cables coming off the throttle body, going to (I believe) the transmission.

More importantly, even if left to warm up for 10-15 min in the morning, the transmission (3 speed auto/ 32RH) will not shift out of first gear. It will rev like hell, but won't shift. Occasionally, if I were to turn it off and on again, it would begin to shift, but not always.

What do you guys think could be causing this?

The pedal/throttle cable seems to freeze 'stuck', even without any sign of water anywhere.

I have no idea with the trans--I'm guessing it's the shifter cables/kickdown cables but I have no clue....
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Im not exactly sure about a Jeep tranny, but I would pull codes and that should give you your answer or at least help you bottleneck in your troubleshooting.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Well if the cable that's going to the trans from the throttle body is sticking, then I think that explains both problems. That should be the kickdown cable, and if it's not functioning properly the trans doesn't know you want it to shift. I'd see if you could take it apart and clean it up and maybe lube it up with some dry graphite lube.
97JEEPTJ

Post by 97JEEPTJ »

Arya, that seems to be what's going on. I think I need to see what I can do with that throttle cable in the way of cleaning it/removing water or moisture that I'm, guessing is freezing when not running.

Alec, that'd be a start, but the transmission is mechanical, doesn't run off of a computer. :thumby:

Thanks guys.
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Alec, that'd be a start, but the transmission is mechanical, doesn't run off of a computer. :thumby:

Thanks guys.[/quote]

Lucky, how so simple.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke