Attachments
chromos.jpg
chromos.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 4208 times
1987 MJ, "Trowmanche v2.0"
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
zach119

Post by zach119 »

Hell yea trow, now we can try for a 20 minute ring and pinion set up on the trail :thumby:
-Zach

2003 Ford F150 work truck piece of crap- sold
1998 Dodge Ram, 35s, 456s- sold
2000 Powerstroke tow rig on DUBs- once rolled- sold
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi tow rig
1995 YJ on BLOCKS
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

nice, whos shafts did you go with? what joint are in them?
93 YJ Under Construction
97JEEPTJ

Post by 97JEEPTJ »

bling bling
BadnewsCJ

Post by BadnewsCJ »

Still determined to pimp the 30 when you got the youngins with links and stickies

Your awesome. I knew there was a reason I liked you :thumby:
Nick
'79 Jeep
'99 F350 tow rig
'13 TDI Wagen DD
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

C'mon Trow. You don't need cromos to frag a D30 ring & pinion. You just gotta weld up the spider gears in that sucker and go climb some big rocks going straight. ha ha ha. Next time my Jeep is back together and you make it up to Big Dogs I'll tell you the story. On second thought I think there is video clip floating around here that Steiny put together of me fragging my D30 ring & pinion.

In all seriousness those look pretty sweet. And yes now you will break ring gears.
I feel like a hundred bucks...
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Noise! be on the lookout for some beefy joints
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
Ctrow

Post by Ctrow »

They are Nitro Shafts, East Cost Gear Supply was having a sweet sale I couldn't pass up. both shafts assembled with spicer 760 joints with full circle clips shipped for $475. Talked to the guy when I ordered them and it's a 10 year warranty on the shafts no tire size restrictions or questions asked. Only issue is if you damage the shaft by blowing the ujoint they will replace them the first time but require you to get stronger ujoints if you blow it a second time. Sounded legit to me, we'll see how they do :twisted:
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

I think you ought to think about joints before you break, since you have proven that you can just take out the joints, although the 760's are stronger than the normal ancient ones in the stock shafts you normally use
93 YJ Under Construction
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Ctrow wrote:They are Nitro Shafts, East Cost Gear Supply was having a sweet sale I couldn't pass up. both shafts assembled with spicer 760 joints with full circle clips shipped for $475. Talked to the guy when I ordered them and it's a 10 year warranty on the shafts no tire size restrictions or questions asked. Only issue is if you damage the shaft by blowing the ujoint they will replace them the first time but require you to get stronger ujoints if you blow it a second time. Sounded legit to me, we'll see how they do :twisted:
Wow, that's easily the best warranty I've heard of for shafts. But I agree with will about your relation with ujoints :lol2:
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
Ctrow

Post by Ctrow »

so what are everyone's thoughts on u-joints? the ones I have look pretty beefy to me. And the guy i talked to said I should be fine with the set up I got. I'm not opposed to stronger joints but I'm not dropping 300 bucks on CTM's. Whats a good joint for a decent price. I plan for this to be the last thing I do to the xj so i can work on saving my money for the trowmanche.
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

for what its worth i ran spicer forged joints in my chromos and was ok, but they did show wear. If they will warranty the shafts for you even if the joint takes out the ears then i'd say carry spares and run the spicers. Your cheapest nice joints options would be nitro excaliburs or yukon super joints, both of which will run you about 300 for the pair. They have bronze bushings instead of needle bearings which is great and they are rebuildable when they start to wear.

I will likely run nitro excaliburs in my 60 if I cant swing ctms when i go to chromos.
93 YJ Under Construction