97 wrangler clutch problems

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

tomg
Club President

97 wrangler clutch problems

Post by tomg »

Need some help on fully understanding what my problem might be.

I noticed when driving today that my clutch was getting looser than normal and far less power to my wheels. While driving down the highway it got to the point that the RPM's stayed at about 4,000 just to maintain any sort of speed and then there was a burnt smell. I was trying to make it off the road and to a parking lot but no luck. Came to intersection right before I could pull off and after a full stop it would move only inches. So i barely got it off the road and towed home.

As it sits now, I still have to press the clutch pedal in to start the jeep but it starts up fine. Then putting it into gear and letting the clutch pedal out their is no power to the wheels and the jeep runs instead of cutting off like it should. Plus the clutch pedal is very loose almost no pressure.

So any help would be great, since im not sure exactly what i have to replace. A whole new clutch or a clutch slave cylinder perhaps?
97 TJ
BadAssEddie

Re: 97 wrangler clutch problems

Post by BadAssEddie »

Your clutch is shot. You ride it like a cheap asain hooker so its not surprising. Get it towed to my shop and well fix it. Ive done several and its an afternoon job.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
tomg
Club President

Post by tomg »

This everything in parts that I should need?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... eplacement
97 TJ
Username

Post by Username »

Plan on replacing your flywheel or at the very least, having it resurfaced. Also use new flywheel bolts and red loctite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Username wrote:Plan on replacing your flywheel or at the very least, having it resurfaced. Also use new flywheel bolts and red loctite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Brian speaks the truth.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke