Welding Classes

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

JCook5003

Welding Classes

Post by JCook5003 »

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice from anyone who's taken some welding classes at NRCC.

I just bought a welder (Hobart 190) and want to learn how to run it. I figure I might as well take a class at NRCC since I am there some during the day anyway. I see that they have a welding fundamentals class, which I'm not sure will actually get into running a MIG machine.

Would Shielded Metal Arc Welding Basic be a better choice?

Mind you I'm not looking to become a pro, I just want to learn to run my machine and make decent strong welds so i can build my own shit.

Advice? Opinions? Suggestions?
JCook5003

Re: Welding Classes

Post by JCook5003 »

Or for that matter, I didnt realize they offered a specific Gas Metal ARC Welding class.......

Opinions?
BlueDodgeRam

Post by BlueDodgeRam »

I took all those classes a few years ago. Learned a lot. Doesnt really help with learning how to weld tubing though, its all either .25" or 1" plate test coupons with V grooves.

The SMAW class is stick welding. Youll want the GMAW class. You also do FCAW is the GMAW class.
Treehugger v2.0

'16 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500SRW, Duramax

'07 WRF450F Supermoto
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Like Peterbuilt said, SMAW is stick and GMAW is MIG.

Id personally save the money and teach yourself. Miller has a plethora of great technical and manual resources on their website for the DIY. You can taylor it to your personal fabrication needs.

www.millerrwelds.com
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
MtnManMatt

Post by MtnManMatt »

Ye, if you're already got a welder and wanna keep it cheap, learning on your own would work. I've also got a textbook that has virtually EVERYTHING you could ever wanna know about welding that you could borrow. But on the other hand, taking at least one class first, really helps. Welding is an art and there's a fair bit that's good to know before you lay your first bead. Taking a class where I was surrounded by professionals and folks doin this for a living really helped get my feet wet and critiques from the instructor help you get through the initial epic fails easier and quicker. After that its just practice, practice, practice, which you can do on your own. I didn't have a welder though so that's why my welds suck right now :mrgreen: The class really helped me get pretty good pretty fast though. You can definitely figure it out on your own, but the class helps correct bad habits early, makes initial learning much easier by letting you start out on good machines (big ass AC/DC Millers for me), and at least in my case, let me learn and practice on a variety of types (SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, OAW) in a comfortable and informative environment. Talk to your instructor too, the classes are usually set up for folks pursuing welding as a career (separate classes for each type) and if they understand your intentions, they can probably tailor it to your needs. I signed up for a class called Inert Gas Welding or something like that, but worked with everything at my own speed in one semester...

So ye, there's my 2+ cents :thumby:

...oh, and I also recommend learning stick before MIG. It makes a real welder out of you and makes going to MIG heaven :mrgreen:
'03 TJ on Bronco Axles and 37s
'96 XJ Country DD on 32s
'96 KLX650c on my driveway
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

shows how well petey paid attention in class.

all of the classes at NCRR are designed for those wanting to get into welding for a career / profession. i finished the classes there and i work as a CWI / welder / foreman now.

the GMAW class will teach you everything you need to know to become a certified welder (AWS D1.1, API 1104, and ASME Section IX welding Codes). the class will focus mainly on proper joint design and proper welding techniques. You will learn the difference between a good weld, a good looking weld (that may or may not be good), and a bad weld.

look at it this way .... if the class is good enough to have me welding for an unnamed facility that deals with radioactive testing and manipulation .... its good enough for your jeep.

the GMAW class is (was .... Mark gilbert, the current instructor, changed a lot of stuff) based on structural welding. 0.250" plate, 0.375" plate, and 1.000" plate.

if you are marginally more intelligent than peter (read: rock) ... you will finish the class early and have time to to practice position welds on tubing and tube to plate joints.

is it worth the price? only you can decide that ... but it will teach you what you need to know.