painting the frame

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

turnbull

painting the frame

Post by turnbull »

Hey i noticed there are a few exposed sections of my Jeep's frame that are starting to rust. Can i just spray paint over it with black primer as a quick fix?
'15 JK Sport w/ 31.5" Duratracs, 3.6l Pentastar, 6-speed manual, 4.10 gears, Detroit TrueTracs front and rear
willhf1011

Re: painting the frame

Post by willhf1011 »

Absolutely, go for it
93 YJ Under Construction
UNIMOG-GUY

Post by UNIMOG-GUY »

turnbull wrote:Hey i noticed there are a few exposed sections of my Jeep's frame that are starting to rust. Can i just spray paint over it with black primer as a quick fix?

Yes you can...however you'll end up doing it again if you don't do it right the first time. It will just rust thru again since you didn't get rid of the rust the first time. I would either: sand and prime it then paint it or ospho (rust inhibitor/stops the rusting process) and then paint it.

Nothing worse than 1/2 ass'n it and having to do it again later which actually creates more steps in the long run.

Example:

1. Paint it be and be done... now eventually it'll rust thru and then you'll have to go back and do step 2 (ends up being 4 steps)

or

2. Sand or wire brush it, prime it, paint it and be done. (3 steps)
1965 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404 w/ MB-A 7 ton PTO winch and crawler gears for 413:1 crawl ratio, LPG
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1008 FOR SALE
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 w/ snowplow and H1 rims and 37" tires FOR SALE

An original member of the SC4WDA.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Use a zinc primer after you've sanded it. The sacrificial zinc will also help prevent rust. Primer is self will not protect metal, it does not provide a good seal. You will have to paint over the primer to seal it and prevent oxygen from getting to the metal.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool: