Transmission making a grinding noise

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

InvertChaos

Transmission making a grinding noise

Post by InvertChaos »

Hey everyone

Would someone be willing to take a ride in my jeep and help me diagnose a noise coming from the transmission area? It only happens under engine braking load, and it sounds like what I would think shoving a coat hangar in there would sound like. Really noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear. It's also pretty loud in general in the higher gears. I have already tried changing the fluid (no metal chunks came out) and it was quiet during the cold months. But as it gets warmer it gets louder and louder. Could it be a tcase chain maybe? If you're willing to check it out let me know! It's hard to get it to a shop as I'm working 40hrs a week and everything closes about the time I get off. Thanks!
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" OME HD coils + 1.25" BL|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears w/Detroit Trutrac|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
turnbull

Re: Transmission making a grinding noise

Post by turnbull »

I am no expert, but I will drive it if you want my opinion. Mainly I will just see if there is anything unusual between your 5 speed and my 5 speed. By the way, there are some shops that are actually open on Saturday and Sunday.
'15 JK Sport w/ 31.5" Duratracs, 3.6l Pentastar, 6-speed manual, 4.10 gears, Detroit TrueTracs front and rear