need help with transmission (97 TJ chrystler 999 tranny)

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

jonesy

Post by jonesy »

TerryD wrote:well, one thing that's on my side, you can ask matt, if i say "you need to put money here" and you don't, i'll bitch till you do or walk.....i dont half ass tranny, engine, or carb stuff... people will fry your ass for it...
so the $13 question:

should i rebuild the auto tranny in the jeep in hopes of selling it later on down the road after i get a manual tranny .... or should i junk it / sell it as-is (i kind of doubt it will last that much longer :o
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

tough one. do you really want an auto tranny? if you're interested in trying the auto that in it, lets rebuild it... if you want an auto, but not that auto, lets find a 904 outta a old J10 or J20 and build a real tranny. if you're just biding time till the manual swap, dont waste the time and $$ w/ the auto, just hit EBAY and the scrap yard and find the stuff for the manual swap. (hopefully i can snag that other XJ from that dude and get us both some killer parts)
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

TerryD wrote:tough one. do you really want an auto tranny? if you're interested in trying the auto that in it, lets rebuild it... if you want an auto, but not that auto, lets find a 904 outta a old J10 or J20 and build a real tranny. if you're just biding time till the manual swap, dont waste the time and $$ w/ the auto, just hit EBAY and the scrap yard and find the stuff for the manual swap. (hopefully i can snag that other XJ from that dude and get us both some killer parts)
im buying time till i have money for a manual tranny swap

so its settled, not rebuilding the cry-stler 666 tranny, gonna beat on it till it blows up.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

sweet, lets break some shit then!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

lord....

just don't blow it up on special trail, aight?
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Piney wrote:lord....

just don't blow it up on special trail, aight?
ill think about it :mrgreen:
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

if you blow it on special trail, we leave the tranny there.....new obstacle. tranny rock maybe? lol
Terry
Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

okay, but if my truck's the one pulling you out you may end up replacin more than the tranny.
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

TerryD wrote:if you blow it on special trail, we leave the tranny there.....new obstacle. tranny rock maybe? lol
hahahah! deal!
Piney wrote:okay, but if my truck's the one pulling you out you may end up replacin more than the tranny.
nahh, i would get a real truck to pull me off the trail :flipoff2: