Led light bars Brah

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

redneckrapunzel

Led light bars Brah

Post by redneckrapunzel »

Does anyone have experience with anything but cheap LED light bars? i know the cheaper ones are bright and great and all but i for some reason cant convince myself that a 10" $400 light bar isnt worth it compared to a 10" $50 light bar. I am looking at a baja designs onx.. everything i have read is that it's not just a name you're paying for but the quality and brightness is much higher.
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
FJCcrawler

Re: Led light bars Brah

Post by FJCcrawler »

Yeah, the cheap ones suck. They leak, the internals are made with shitty 30ga speaker wire and they dont have very much throw to their beams. They are effective for about 20 feet then scatter. Great for lighting up a wide short distance but thats about it, I use a cheap 20" as a backup light and it works great.

I wouldnt necessarily drop big money for a rigid or baja eiher especially since any highspeed desert type travel is nonexistent on this side of the country.

Personally I would go with the older HID technology, the cheaper ones still work great, throw plenty of light a far distance and are every bit as bright as the LEDs. They also tend to last longer than the china bars.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
Bacwds

Post by Bacwds »

Check out http://www.swampdonkeylighting.com/mobile/default.aspx

They have some high quality bars, pods

Plus great CS, lifetime warranty and HD wiring harness included
redneckrapunzel

Yea I was kinda tempted to go with older tech like you said wong but the one big draw to the light bars is the compactness, as much as everyone misses the sweet light bar on the jeep I don't really wanna mess with older big fixtures.

Janice do you actually have one of these? or know anyone who does? im having trouble finding anything about them online.
1997 TJ
04 superduty

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
Bacwds

Post by Bacwds »

Yea I've had there pods for awhile, great quality, I had one get some dust in it and sent them a pic of it and they had a new one shipped out immediately I was impressed, check them out on Facebook and instagram probably more info there.
greenmachine

Post by greenmachine »

I have a 20" one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJ ... UTF8&psc=1
I have had it for around six months, and I got stuck and it was submerged for half an hour in mud and it has yet to leak.

I have these pods
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQ ... UTF8&psc=1
They have yet to leak as well, and I've had them for about six months as well.
18 year old lime green XJ
2 year old pup
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

As you know, I have two cheapie bars, no problems out of them. Are brighter than my old 6" KC knockoffs and pull far less current. I dont looking like a bro-douche and think the
KC types are coolerr when setup well but you said it, compact and easy. I woluldn't buy an expensive one unless it was a good deal used. Will's Rigid 6" was pretty impressive, but wasn't so awesome I'd buy it over a cheapie bar. I'd just buy one, tuck it somewhere it doesnt get directly rained on or submerged often and forget about it.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
redneckrapunzel

Yea will's is the only one that I have seen in use ever and I was pretty impressed, I feel like his little 6 inch was brighter than more of the 20-30" inch bars ive seen. I never have seen them side by side but I remember watching him go through lower rock garden at Harlan with it looking like it was middle of the day.
1997 TJ
04 superduty

^ very true ^
wheelertaco

Post by wheelertaco »

i have had a cheap amazon light bar since i built my front bumper and so far have had zero leaking and the light output is pretty good. might be able to find the link to the one i got and post it here in a little bit.
Edit**
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CL ... UTF8&psc=1
this is the one i ordered and have been happy with
"I am 110% winging it, and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing." - Sam Paras

Godsamnit Dam