For Hire...I guess? (Welding)

Parts, vehicles, fab and mechanic work, etc.

Moderator: Club Officers

VT_Kook

For Hire...I guess? (Welding)

Post by VT_Kook »

Hey guys, new to the forums still. Pieced together a lift for my 2000 4runner right before break. Threw tundra struts and coils up front with billy 5100's and OME 906 coils on the back with trim packers. Never worked with suspension or anything before so it sucked, that being said, it's like a tattoo...now I wanna do more. I want to be able to weld a low profile bumper for the front of the 4runner, but have NO welding experience. Anyone know some basics that would be willing to show me when we get back to school? If not, I'll just mess around with this mig welder and maybe figure it out haha. Thanks!
BadAssEddie

Re: For Hire...I guess? (Welding)

Post by BadAssEddie »

I could build you a bumper, but it sounds like you are more interested in the process than the product. It sounds like you have a welder? I've been wanting to do a tech session on welding for a while. Might be a good opportunity for some free instruction.

Watch some videos, do some reading, and just make one. It will probably be ugly, asymmetrical, and have booger welds everywhere, but you will like it because you made it. Ask Kevin or Josh :flipoff2:
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Good to hear more guys stepping out their comfort zone to build their rigs. No one ever really taught me how to weld, one day just decided to pick up a torch and weld my diff's spider gears and to this day, the welds havent broke. Best thing is to just practice and be comfortable with it. Building a bumper is pretty fun, did it with my 4runner, just takes a lot of planning, unless youre kevin and stole blueprint specs and copied a manufacturer. :flipoff2:
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
Rex82

Post by Rex82 »

lol get shit on kevin :lol2:
Chris
'04 LJ
'13 HYUNDAI Sonata
Play dirty, leave happy
wheelertaco

Post by wheelertaco »

sometimes i miss my booger welded POS bumper, mostly because I made it and my truck was #builtnotbought, now its #boughtnotbuilt... time for truck nuts i guess :cjerk:
"I am 110% winging it, and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing." - Sam Paras

Godsamnit Dam
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

wheelertaco wrote:sometimes i miss my booger welded POS bumper, mostly because I made it and my truck was #builtnotbought, now its #boughtnotbuilt... time for truck nuts i guess :cjerk:
Ahh shit... the sperries and chubbies wearing kevin is slowly coming back.... :lol2:
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
VT_Kook

Post by VT_Kook »

Welp...looks like the Yota gods wanted me to fabricate a new bumper because today a rock took mine out...it will be getting removed today or tomorrow and ill ducktape my turn signals on while I start welding crap together until it looks presentable...
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

VT_Kook wrote:Welp...looks like the Yota gods wanted me to fabricate a new bumper because today a rock took mine out...it will be getting removed today or tomorrow and ill ducktape my turn signals on while I start welding crap together until it looks presentable...
Thats the spirit! Its the unforeseeable events like this that really expedite a build.
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris