32RH trans rebuild

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

blackford

32RH trans rebuild

Post by blackford »

Instead of dropping a different transmission in the jeep I'm considering rebuilding the one in there. Any tips or information on rebuilding an automatic transmission? I haven't gotten into one before so its new to me.
2005 F150
1966 F250 Stepside
YellowDodgeBrian

Re: 32RH trans rebuild

Post by YellowDodgeBrian »

How much is the rebuild kit and how much is a junkyard trans? Its a big undertaking if you don't have someone with the knowhow to help you. Even rebuilding my valve body was pretty complex. I know that Alec has rebuilt one and I'm sure some of the older guys have experience with it. But if I were you I'd look and see if its worth rebuilding it considering time, effort, and frustration. I lost a retaining clip that was worth 30 cents and at the moment I would have paid $20 bucks just to have another than deal with the bullshit and frustration of looking for another. Just something to think about.
Can conquer anything in my path with my yellow turd. My truck doesn't burn oil it burns transfer cases at mile marker 187. My truck doesn't get dented it simply molds to it environment becoming faster and more agile. Patches is made from fence posts that were used to keep in the monsters from hell. Patches doesn't have horsepower, it has god power. Patches doesn't drive over rocks, it forces them beneath it because it is superior.
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

It is a big undertaking. Likely easier to get a junkyard trans. Taking a trans out a couple of times is still less time than a rebuild. But, it is a great learning experience if you want to try it. Don't expect it to not blow up your first time. You'll need a CLEAN 4'x8' bench, full tool setup with several specialty items, a couple good books, and about 100 beers.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
blackford

Post by blackford »

Sounds like a good thing I ended up picking up a low mileage one. I may yet undertake the project just for the hell of it when I get settled in Colorado and have more space and time.
2005 F150
1966 F250 Stepside
YellowDodgeBrian

Post by YellowDodgeBrian »

Thats kinda my plan if I need to replace my trans. Swap in a junkyard one and then pull apart the old one and see if I can learn anything from it. After tearing it down a few times I might try rebuilding it with better parts. But trying to do that with no experience with a few hundred bucks on the line is not the way I want to learn how to rebuild a trans haha.
Can conquer anything in my path with my yellow turd. My truck doesn't burn oil it burns transfer cases at mile marker 187. My truck doesn't get dented it simply molds to it environment becoming faster and more agile. Patches is made from fence posts that were used to keep in the monsters from hell. Patches doesn't have horsepower, it has god power. Patches doesn't drive over rocks, it forces them beneath it because it is superior.