The ShitRunner

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

FJCcrawler

Re: The ShitRunner

Post by FJCcrawler »

The hub bodies themselves were pretty nasty and prolly have never been greased or taken apart. The first time taking them apart is pretty nerve racking, just take your time, take lots of pics and youll be fine. Once again, the hot tank parts washer at work did its magic in removing any dirt grime and grease and getting everything pretty again. Also, got a slick coat of paint to the hub bodies. The tacos came with a factory silver hub dial, but I really liked the old school red hub dials that the classic solid axle pick-ups had so red it was!

Everything laid out and ready to get greased.

All back together!

Had a little extra change in my bank, and also got a fucking banging deal on an e-locked rear axle out of a 97 4runner, basically bolts right in, for $100 but did have to drive up to Northern Ohio near Lake Eerie. Wasnt too bad of a drive, bout 5.5 hrs, but I couldnt pass the deal up.

More to come on that.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Onward with the tale of the Shitbucket.
Twas a slightly chilly Monday morning, dew in the air, nipples fully hard in the pectoral region, coffee filled to the brim of the mug, and optimism filled the mind of the young asian stallion as he prepared to leave for work. "Into the shitrunner and onward we go!" exclaimed the waskily man child. As he reached over to start the chariot, all he could hear was the lonely screech of a click, similar to the slow dying sound of the predator from Predator starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, followed by an evil BANG that can only resemble the sound mirroring the that of Satan's thunder shits. "FUCK!" uttered the enraged asian, "FUCK! FUCK! FUCKITTTY, TITTY FUCK!" Immediately he knew what it was, he kicked the door open with those powerful legs of his, hopped out, threw a handful of gravel and yelled at the top of his lungs, "FUCK YOUR SHIT!" then proceeded to go inside and take a shit, much like the one his once trusted steed just did on him.... :flipoff2:

So the starter shit itself, its kinda been slowly dying up to that point, sooo it was kinda my fault for not changing it earlier, but oh well. Ended up borrowing my uncles truck, to work and went to Toyota to pick up another starter. The Toyota/Denso starter has actually been pretty decent given all its abuse so I just went with OEM again, and plus I was able to get a heavy discount at Toyota anyways. Kinda a pain in the ass to get in but other than that not a big deal, just something that I didnt plan to do over summer.

Ill get back to the regularly scheduled bullshit momentarily.
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Back to the goods of the drivetrain.

First thing I did when I got my rear axle to work was pull the shafts and get the third out to bench test the locker motor. Like I said before, I picked the whole axle up for $100, the guy I bought it from didnt know what a locker was let alone whether the elocker motor worked so crossed my fingers hoping that the motor worked given that a used elocker motor off the forum classifieds range between $200-$300.

Luckily everything worked just fine, and now was time to blow the third apart to get some fresh bearings and some brand new 5.29 yukons put on.
Im not gonna go over how to regear a Toyota 8" diff, mainly cuz I didnt get any pics and also that subject has been pounded into every off road forum harder than a dirty decrepit New Jersey prostitute.
Here's a reference I used when regeared my rear third. http://www.gearinstalls.com/

The axle housing came from Northern Ohio, so it was rust af. Didnt feel like wire wheeling the whole housing and also it had a few pinhole leaks, so picked up another rear axle housing from a junkyard for $30. Got everything cleaned up and painted a pretty rustoleum black, like my heart. Also got new hardware for the diff.

Last thing was making the elocker harness. It was a giant pain in the fuck to make a harness, but I did it. I used a DPDT switch with a harness I made spliced into the pigtail that connects to the diff. You can also use a factory harness and computer or a harness with two relays and a SPST switch. The basic idea is that the locker needs two circuits to function, one circuit to turn the motor one way to lock the diff and another to turn the motor the other way to unlock it.

I used the first diagram as a reference, but the other one also works to operate the locker.
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Once the rear got buttoned up, went on to the front. Went with yukons again, but went with a free.99 lincoln locker up front.
Here's a full write up on regearing the front 7.5 ifs diff viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5191

Then it was time to get everything shoved in...
and discovered this

fucking disintegrated rubber bushing, literally just the sleeve was left, but luckily I had spare links in the magical 4runner parts shed.

Got a decent upper link in, slapped on some new brake shoes, hardware, and threw the drums on the brake lathe at work. Also nice to have access to a two post lift, made things very convenient.
All pretty besides the dirty drums, but pretty on the inside!

Even got the locker light to work!

The only thing left to do was test the new drivetrain out, but ran out of money and time for tires and wheels, so had to run on the bald 35s for the time being.
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Twas nearing the end of summer and havent had the chance to wheel. Pretty much hit the budget for the summer and didnt have quite enough for some new wheels and tires, so just ran with the old bald 35 KM1s. About a week before school started, I headed to the local off road park, The Dirty Turtle. The park is pretty small, but it was only about 40 min away from my house and served as a good shakedown run for the new goods.

Major things done over summer:
Locking hub conversion
regeared to 5.29s
welded front diff
elocked rear axle
Some sweet ricer LED tailights

The shakedown run went quite well, everything worked the way it should. It was like night and day wheeling open-open vs double locked. Having the 5.29s definitely helped a lot on the highway. The RPMs were a little higher than I liked on 35s, but I was planning ahead for something else... :brow:
The only complaint I had with the set up was how much of a bitch it was to turn with a welded front, but that was expected.

More to come later! :cjerk: :sheila:
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

For someone who breaks shit, you always get lucky when you wheel alone :flipoff2:
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

BadAssEddie wrote:For someone who breaks shit, you always get lucky when you wheel alone :flipoff2:
I wheel alone, cuz I dont have frands... :crybaby2:
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Been a little while, so time for a more recent update to the story. Now we're around September 2015
Managed to break two more CVs and a hub body at the river party doing stupid stuff like a truck pull... Puts the total at this point at three. :lol2:

Luckily was able to get some new CVs and hub bodies.

'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Not really a build update, but a story update on the 4runner.

The Infamous Potts Trip of September 18th 2015.

What a cluster fuck is all I can say about this trip... In total, took 19hrs to finish the trip. To this day several of my friends/members of the club hate me and my shit bucket specifically because of this trip.
Not many pics, so Im just gonna paint yall to the best of my abilities a word picture.

It all started as an innocent Potts trip on a weekend, no biggie. I just put fresh CVs from breaking them down at the river and got everything back together the way it should be. Rolled into the Food Lion parking in my usual 3 wheeled fashion a little after 730 after stuffing my fat face with half a dozen Carol Lee donuts. We were all ready to roll out, if memory serves me right, it was Patrick Holleran in his Rubi GayKU, Josh in his WK, and Kevin his Taco and Nathan and Michael riding bitch.

Cool, no problems on the way there, get to the trail head and aired down, everyone makes it through the first downhill obstacle and 2nd actual obstacle. Great! Awesome!

Then came calamity...

Right before the open field, BANG! SHHHH! Michael and I looked at each other with a wtf look on our faces. Got out the shitbox and my driver tire was stuffed all the way into my fender and the control arm was on the ground... The driver ball joint decided to take a fat shit. I was under a bit of time crunch as I had to be back at 2pm for Corps bullshit and it was 1130 at this point, so we ratchet strapped the suspension the control arm back on the ball joint and limped the piece of shit into a flat area under a tree, ran up past washout in Patrick's JK up to the overlook and had lunch and made some calls to a few auto parts stores to get the parts needed. Kevin, Josh, and Michael stayed behind and watched the shitrunner while Nathan, Patrick, and I finished up the trail in his JK and ran back into town to pick up the parts. Got back in town around 130.

While I was doing Corps bullshit, Nathan took his dual sport picked up the ball joint for the 4runner ran up the backside of Potts to my car. Low and behold the auto parts store gave him the wrong ball joint... awesome... :thumby: This was about 330-4. Michael, Kevin, and Josh at this point had ran out of food and apparently were "starving" and decided to make a fire...

Meanwhile, after I was done with my weekly buttfuck from the Corps, it was around 4-430. Ran back to my room, got changed, and had to have Sam take me to the parts store to get the right part. Got the part, got some food and water, hopped in his TJ and headed to Potts. By the time we got to the top of washout from the backside, it was 830-9, dark af couldnt see shit. Had food and water in my backpack ready to go, before I even got out the Jeep, Michael, Kevin, and Josh raped my backpack like a pack vicious wolves.

Cool, got the new ball joint in everything was good. It was 1030pm at this point, took the bypass around washout, sweet! Pretty much done, .....aaaaaaannnnnd POP!

"Fuck, fuck, fuck fuckity tit fuck FUCK!" Michael and I looked at each other again, then Michaell look out the window and all he said was "yep..." At this point it was around 11 and the passenger side ball joint conveniently shit itself too, didnt have spare parts and all the parts stores were closed. It was a fuck it moment, ratchet strapped the front end together, sent a call out to Gilbert and Nick to bring a trailer into the town of New Castle and we'd meet them down there. Finished out the rest of the trail and limped back onto the trailer.

Everyone got home around 2am... Definitely the most memorable Potts trip ever.
To everyone that helped that day: Michael G, Kevin W, Josh A, Nathan A, Patrick H, Sam P, T Gilbert, and Nick B, I couldnt be more thankful to have such an amazing group of friends, I owe yall infinite OTPHJs :cjerk:
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
redneckrapunzel

Post by redneckrapunzel »

no everyone put me nick nathan and gilby got home at like 2... we got home at like 330 yall left our ass
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
wheelertaco

Post by wheelertaco »

mother fucker it was a long ass day, as soon as I knew wongs shitrunner was on the trailer and good to go I got the fuck out of there and straight to my bed
"I am 110% winging it, and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing." - Sam Paras

Godsamnit Dam
NJKURPat

Post by NJKURPat »

I have a picture of Wong napping on the way back somewhere......

All of this could have been avoided if you hadn't taken the turn into Food Lion at 50 and jumped the runner into the grass. :flipoff2: :rainbow: :flipoff2:
| 2008 JKUR | 4.10 | 3" MC DUALRATE LIFT | UCA's | TRACKBAR | 35" TG | HARDTOP |
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

NJKURPat wrote:I have a picture of Wong napping on the way back somewhere......

All of this could have been avoided if you hadn't taken the turn into Food Lion at 50 and jumped the runner into the grass. :flipoff2: :rainbow: :flipoff2:
Yeah, but that wouldve been lame and boring... Being safe and normal is for Jeep fags...
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
NJKURPat

Post by NJKURPat »

FJCcrawler wrote:
NJKURPat wrote:I have a picture of Wong napping on the way back somewhere......

Yeah, but that wouldve been lame and boring... Being safe and normal is for Jeep fags...

I was going to insult your spaghetti control arms, but remembered they hold up better than mine.
| 2008 JKUR | 4.10 | 3" MC DUALRATE LIFT | UCA's | TRACKBAR | 35" TG | HARDTOP |
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

NJKURPat wrote:
I was going to insult your spaghetti control arms, but remembered they hold up better than mine.
Cuz its not a jeep... And my pescetti control arms are what make my rear suspension flex like it does :flipoff2: Whats a long arm suspension?
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris