Abuot time I posted up.

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

cootees

Abuot time I posted up.

Post by cootees »

I've been lurking on the boards long enough and figured it was about time I introduced myself. My name is Philip and I am from Roanoke.

My rig is a '90 2dr 4runner. Currently is has 3-3.5" of lift on 32's. MC rear bumper and sliders are waiting to go on. I'm slowly piecing together everything I need for my sas which hopefully should start by this fall. :thumby:

- 90 4Runner 2dr
tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

where did/do you go to school in Roanoke? I went to Northside.
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"
cootees

Post by cootees »

I would have gone to LB but I was home schooled.
- 90 4Runner 2dr
MtnToys

Post by MtnToys »

Nice rig. I don’t think have I ever seen a 2dr second gen in person. What do you plan to use in the SAS?
Matt
85 4Runner
97 4Runner
97 LX450 Diesel
cootees

Post by cootees »

The current plan is to go with the sky spring hangers & high steer with trail gear shock hoops & hydro-asist steering.

The axle came form an 83 so first thing is to tear it apart and rebuild it. I plan on keeping 4.10's for time being until I decide to go higher and I am not certain what springs I am going with yet. I'm trying not to lift it anymore than it currently is cause I don't want to fool with the rear for a while... so I am going to try the factory springs from the 83 first to see where that will put me at and if it is not enough lift, I will have to go another route.
- 90 4Runner 2dr
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

take another set of stock rears, and the 83 rears, mix and match with 5 or 6 leaves to get the ends of each leaf to be evenly spaced. should give you about 3"-4" lift and moves the axle forward about 2"-3".
Last edited by yotacowboy on Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
cootees

Post by cootees »

yotacowboy wrote:take another set of stock rears, and the 83 rears, mix and match with 5 or 6 leaves to get the ends of each leaf to be evenly spaced. should give you about 3"-4" lift and moves the axle forward about 2"-3".
I'll keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure I will have to build a pack to get it the height I need it. I don't have any of the rear springs though.. just the fronts from the 83.
- 90 4Runner 2dr
cootees

Post by cootees »

Got the bumper on today.

Factory bumper and hitch removed.

MC Bumper on.

Spare tire rim was powdercoated in satin black as well. I need to mount it on my full size spare sometime this week.

We also test fit the 35x14 tires that jeremy has and I was quite impress how well they fit under the 4runner. the 14" wide tires obviously would rub a bit but with a 12.50, I could fit those with little to no rubbing.

So since I know I can fit 35's with the way it sits now I am thinking about possible moving up to a 35 or 36 when I do the sas and a small body lift(for a drivetrain lift)
- 90 4Runner 2dr
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

i would highly advice against doing anybody lift when you SAS the truck. it just defeats the purpose of doing a SAS in the first place.
DD: 2003 GC Limited, 4.7L
Trail Rig: hmmm
cootees

Post by cootees »

Well, I don't want a body lift at all.. but the only reason I consider it is so that I can do a drivetrain lift. It's the gas tank I am really concerned about.. I snagged it on some rocks a while back and the gas tank skid plate took a good beating.

Nor do I like the idea of having a fuel cell in the back taking up space so I really don't know what else to do. If you have any suggestions feel free to shoot them my way.
- 90 4Runner 2dr
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

the trick when you do a SAS is to scoot the axle forward as far as you can. you can get away with about 3-4" of lift to fit 37's and not rub the back of the wheel tub, but you've gotta move the steering box forward so you can move the axle about 4" forward. this is how you fit 36's, 37's, up to 40's with very little lift. my axle is about 4.5" forward and i've only got about 3.5-4" of lift... and with a little trimming i could pretty easily run 39.5's. one side benefit of moving the axle forward is increasing your wheelbase, which in effect moves your center of gravity back... a good thing.

take a look at miller's rig. his axle is only about 2" or so forward from stock, and to fit 38.5's, he's running about 5-6" of lift... his rig is noticeably taller than mine, with not a huge difference in tire size. a tall rig is a tippy rig.

also: don't waste your time with a body lift unless you're trying to get a flat belly. which, if you're doing that, you should probably go dual cases as well, in order to keep the driveline angles in check.

my personal opinion of how to build a good toyota (or any rig) is BIG tires, and little or no lift. compared to jeeps, 4" of lift on a yota is PLENTY.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
cootees

Post by cootees »

Gtocha.. 36's should be plenty big for me. Just gotta figure out something to do with the gas tank if I don't do a drivetrain lift.
- 90 4Runner 2dr
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Yoda wrote:i would highly advice against doing anybody lift when you SAS the truck. it just defeats the purpose of doing a SAS in the first place.
That's funny, I thought the purpose of an SAS was to get rid of IFS in favor of a solid axle :flipoff2:

I think a SMALL body lift, in the range of .75-1.5", in order to allow a flat belly, is a good compromise and is acceptable. If no flatbelly, just cut cut cut till the tires clear.

Ary
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Arya Ebrahimi wrote:
Yoda wrote:i would highly advice against doing anybody lift when you SAS the truck. it just defeats the purpose of doing a SAS in the first place.
That's funny, I thought the purpose of an SAS was to get rid of IFS in favor of a solid axle :flipoff2:

I think a SMALL body lift, in the range of .75-1.5", in order to allow a flat belly, is a good compromise and is acceptable. If no flatbelly, just cut cut cut till the tires clear.

Ary
well yea if you are doing a flat belly i can see its purpose, but normally it is a cheap way of stuffing bigger tires while SAS isnt really about stuffing tires but to gain flex and durability
DD: 2003 GC Limited, 4.7L
Trail Rig: hmmm
cootees

Post by cootees »

I got the elocker in a few weeks ago. I also repaced some of the bushings with poly bushings while I had the axle out. I plan on doing wiring the locker up this weekend.

- 90 4Runner 2dr