Toyota drivetrain lift

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Dred

Toyota drivetrain lift

Post by Dred »

Well, I've got my pile put back together after doing some clearance-enhancing modifications. When I first starting building up my truck I decided that I wanted to keep the suspension lift to a minimum for stability which of course leads to some ground clearance issues in certain situations. After getting various parts of the undercarage repeatedly hooked on rocks it was pretty obvious that I needed to raise some things. I put a 2" body lift on a while ago so that I would have room to raise the things up that I wanted to. On the 4runners, the gas tank hangs down ridiculously low and gets smashed into everything, so that needed to go up. The factory crossmember I think is actually a recycled boat anchor that some Japaneese engineer decided should go under a truck. I can't count the number of times that has gotten me hung up.
The first thing that I did after the body lift was raise the gas tank 2" It was pretty straight forward. I just droped the tank, cut the mounts into fun shaped peices and then welded them back together so the tank was 2" higher. Now it is above the leaf spring and is about the same height as a pickup gas tank.
For the crossmember, I ditched the stock one and ordered a new one from Sky Manufacturing. I ordered it with the 2" spacers to raise the tcase up to be in the same relative position to the body as it was before the body lift. This gave me almost 4 more inches of clearance under the crossmember. It also resolved the issue of the shifter hitting the body after the body lift was installed.
I decided to raise the motor up the same amount just to keep everything in line. I also had some problems that were fixed with that too. The stock motor mounts were toast from stupid low gearing and liberal use of the go pedal so I tossed those and replaced them with some Rockstomper mounts. I put some 2" spacers under the new mounts. My tie rod used to hit the oil pan when the front suspension bottomed out since I only have about 2.5" of suspension lift. Now with the motor raised up, this is no longer an issue. Also I don't have to use those stupid radiator drop down brackets that came with the body lift since the motor is now lined up with body how it's supposed to be.
Original member since 1999
Dred

Post by Dred »

before pic of crossmember...
Attachments
before.JPG
before.JPG (101.4 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Dred

Post by Dred »

pic of new crossmember...
Attachments
after.JPG
after.JPG (161.54 KiB) Viewed 4632 times
Dred

Post by Dred »

new motor mounts
Attachments
mount2.JPG
mount2.JPG (153 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
mount1.JPG
mount1.JPG (91.61 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
Leach

Post by Leach »

Looks good man, now its time for some 40's. Glad you still got that thing around, now just gotta convince Ben to keep his and fix it.

Leach
member # dos
Dred

Post by Dred »

I was thinking either 40's or nitrous! I figured both would improve offroad performance about the same amount. But I guess I need to put a cage in before the nitrous. :mrgreen:
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

you could always just put a NOS sticker on it and a button on the dash and pretend when you're gettin it. that's what i do.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
Leach

Post by Leach »

Exactly. 40s and a cage.

And for the NOS sticker, when I had mine I would simply hit the horn. Was easier than putting in a fake button.
member # dos
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

lol! i can just see leach sitting in the heep, looks over to the corvette with a hottie riding shotgun sitting next to him at the stoplight, winks, nails the horn, revs the bejeesus out of the 4cyl and dumps the clutch... spitting out the u-joint on the rear driveshaft, coasts to a stop across the intersection, engine still pegged and horn still blairing... leach, lovin every second of it...

course, dred might wanna be careful with the horn on whore-toy... i distinctly remember driving through the wendy's drivethru when collin still had it... collin looks down at the horn button, says, damn, this thing's crooked, tweaks on it, and the horn button pops off... horn's going apeshit for about 4 minutes as he tries to order food and get the button back on.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
Leach

Post by Leach »

Haha yea hot chick in a vette that senario isnt too far fetched. But I hit the horn when the light is green, or already moving. And the Jeep has a 6cyl and once I got stuck in the intersection, kick that bitch into 4wd and hope the rear driveshaft doesn't take out too much underneath.

But Jared if ya want a certain size tire, a shop down here has a shit ton that they need to get rid of for free so imma take some pictures and would like to see some 40's on that thing. I'll bring em up one weekend if I find enough.

Leach
member # dos
Dred

Post by Dred »

free tires!!!? I'm assuming they don't have much tread? If they've got anything in the the 36 to 40 inch range I'll slap em on even if they're bald so I can check for clearance issues.
Leach

Post by Leach »

10-4, I'm in Blacksburg this weekend but when I go back I'll keep my eye open. Prolly come home with several loads of tires so we'll see.

Leach
member # dos