6.0 problems

Tow Rig, Diesel and Trailer Tech Discussion

Moderator: Club Officers

Ctrow

6.0 problems

Post by Ctrow »

My brother has picked up an 05 f250 with the 6.0L diesel. I've heard of there being alot of problems with this particular motor and was wondering what could be done to prevent these problems.....and don't say buy a duramax or cummins. My bros not very truck savvy and I'd like to keep his truck from blowing up on him.

Thanks,

-ctrow
1987 MJ, "Trowmanche v2.0"
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

If it's turbo problems (not familiar with diesels), I'd recommend using synthetic oil. Generaly, turbo problems are caused by either poor lubrication or the oil sitting in the turbo after the engine has been shut down and overheating due to the temperature and causing buildup which limits lubrication and causes the bearings to starve for oil.

Synthetic oil will keep that from happening. It withstands the temperatures and the diesel formulated synthetics are designed for the high temperatures turbos endure.

Also, synthetic oil will extend oil changes 2000-5000 miles depending on use of the vehicle. I usually change my oils around 8000-10000 miles using regular oil, so I'm a bad example of oil changes, but I get 200,000+ miles out of vehicles and never have engine problems either. Use the best oil filters you can get. Wix, Motorcraft, AC Delco, Napa Gold, and I personally use Purolator Pure-one.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Stinson

Post by Stinson »

Basically keep the EGR system clean, and don't turn it up unless you do ARP head studs first or you will blow head gaskets.

Here is some info, this guy is a goober but has some decent info...

http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/6liter/6-0_main.asp
86 toy: the wheeler
99 F250 Powerstroke
05 KTM 525exc: woods weapon
03 XR650R
ford150

Post by ford150 »

there are a lot of problems with 6.0 powerstrokes... told theres a big list of common problems from duncan fords diesel tech. main thing is change oil regular because the high pressure oil opens the injectors and if not changed will cause injectors to stick