Ford Super Duty Automatic Transmission Upgrades

Tow Rig, Diesel and Trailer Tech Discussion

Moderator: Club Officers

Fonger

Ford Super Duty Automatic Transmission Upgrades

Post by Fonger »

I need to hear some tech on some aftermarket automatic transmissions for '99-'03 Ford Super Duty diesel trucks. My dad's got two trucks with 7.3L diesel engines and automatics and one ('99 F-350 ext. cab long bed 2WD with 200,000 miles) needs a transmission real bad. He's wanting to go the Jasper route. I'm trying to get him to go either Suncoast or ATS for the transmission to help with overall longevity of the transmission. This truck is bone stock and will remain that way. It does pull a 16' trailer with 3000 lbs. of lawn mowers on a regular basis.

I need to get an idea or people's personal experiences with automatic replacements for these trucks. As of now I'm leaning towards the Suncoast due to cost.

So school me on these...
I feel like a hundred bucks...
jac6695

Post by jac6695 »

I would go with Jasper, but I really don't know what the cost difference is between Jasper and Suncoast, but I would guess at least 30-50% more for Suncoast?. Big question is how long will he plan to keep the truck? Another 200k? The truck might not be worth having after another 100k or so, so the Jasper should be fine. If the truck only had 150k and a few years newer, or you plan to get another 200k out of it,then going for Suncoast/ATS might be worth the extra expense.

Oh yeah one thing I have always heard (especially for Fords for some reason) is to thoroughly flush the cooler lines and cooler, or even replace them all to make sure all of the old fluid and debris is out of the system.
James C.

97 K2500HD 6.5/4L80E/NP241/9.5/14BFF

86'ish S10 Blazer LT1/4L60E/ORD Doubler/D60/14BFF
yotacowboy

Re: Ford Super Duty Automatic Transmission Upgrades

Post by yotacowboy »

Fonger wrote:3000 lbs. of lawn mowers

that's a lot of messicans.

i'm going to hell...
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

The Suncoast and the Jasper are almost identical in price. The ATS is pretty much out of the question due to price. The truck will be kept as long as possible. Another 200k is not out of the question for this guy.

Thanks for the heads up on the cooler lines. I'll make sure they get wiped clean.
hklvette

Post by hklvette »

I think there's a place called Brian's Truck Shop/ Stop that builds up the 4R100. i think its $2500 or so, not including the transmission itself. I'm considering having them build the trans in our truck when I get the cash and time to do it.
-Henry

'98 XJ, '05 Grand Prix GTP, '86 Fiero, '70 M35A2, '77 M880
jac6695

Post by jac6695 »

Fonger wrote:The Suncoast and the Jasper are almost identical in price. The ATS is pretty much out of the question due to price. The truck will be kept as long as possible. Another 200k is not out of the question for this guy.

Thanks for the heads up on the cooler lines. I'll make sure they get wiped clean.
Oh wow, wouldn't have expected that. What is the difference in warranties? I would guess both are about 1 year/12,000 miles?

Yeah, at least run some degreaser/brakleen then compressed air through them. Disconnect them from each end and flush out the cooler(s) the same way.
James C.

97 K2500HD 6.5/4L80E/NP241/9.5/14BFF

86'ish S10 Blazer LT1/4L60E/ORD Doubler/D60/14BFF
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

I may try and use this as an excuse to go ahead and put on some new coolers as well. We'll see how it goes with budget and all. This truck will be the guniea pig for us. The other truck ('00 F-350) we've just picked up has about 250,000 miles and I'm sure a new transmission is not too far off in it's future either. So, I'll keep you all informed and you all keep me informed if you have any more ideas for these trucks.
Fonger

Re: Ford Super Duty Automatic Transmission Upgrades

Post by Fonger »

yotacowboy wrote:
Fonger wrote:3000 lbs. of lawn mowers

that's a lot of messicans.

i'm going to hell...
damn dude...when you gonna wheel that Toyota again? What do you need for it. I can probably track you down some 40" sneakers if that's all you need. It's been too long man. I've even gone out and bought two 4Runners now, you've drug me over and I drank the Toyota kool-aid. Now slap that diamond housing in the back and lets go jump that truck of yours.
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

youre right, man, pretty much just need some 40" tahhrs and a way to haul the bitch. i fired it up about a month ago, and it runs just fine. BUT the wifey and i just put in an offer on a condo - got it accepted and will prolly close around august, so money's gonna be tight for a little while. buying houses sucks cause you can't put bigass tires on 'em and drive them over rocks.

might be able swing something around christmas time, tho... hafta wait and see. as far as a 4 link, i'd hafta hire Lenny the ME to cad up a 36" travel trophy truck ass-end, with all his high-zoot anti-roll bars and stuff... we're also looking to pick up a 4runner soon, too. the turba-wolbo is fucking expensive to fix.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

What year 4Runner are you looking for? We've got a 3rd gen. for sale out here at the shop. I think they want something like $5-6000. It's got something like 115k on it. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there. Let me know when you pick one up and you decide to put an OME suspension and bull bar on that thing...
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

Fonger wrote:What year 4Runner are you looking for? We've got a 3rd gen. for sale out here at the shop. I think they want something like $5-6000. It's got something like 115k on it. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there. Let me know when you pick one up and you decide to put an OME suspension and bull bar on that thing...
looking for 98-02. miles don't matter too much as long as the timing belt's been done ~100k. The less leather the better with the dog. manual tranny would be sweet, but they're few and far between.

i'm thinkin ~2" lift and some 285 MTR's, the new ones look kinda pimp.

speaking of tires, you know if benny's still got those 40" mtrs??
Fonger

Post by Fonger »

That'd be a sweet ride man. As far as those tires go, last time I checked he still had them.