starting problems

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

kd97xj

starting problems

Post by kd97xj »

Hey, I just ran into a few members of sc4wda today and figured id try thier advice and see if anyone can help me out here. Ive got a 97 xj with the 4.0 and last night it decided not to start. It cranks over fine, and the fuel line is pressurized, its jut not getting spark. The plugs arent firing and i cant get the wire going to the distibuter to arc either. I replaced the coil today and that didnt fix it. No obvious loose wires that I can find. If anyone has any ideas on anything else to check before I call a shop I would appreciate that
Ctrow

Post by Ctrow »

check your sensors
1987 MJ, "Trowmanche v2.0"
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
TheGr8Doughboy

Post by TheGr8Doughboy »

I think it's a crankshaft position sensor in the 4.0. That'd be my guess.

Chris
'08 Nissan Titan Pro-4X Crew Cab w/ E-locker

'00 Subaru Outback Wagon

'90 KDX 200
tsmall07

Post by tsmall07 »

could also be the computer

have you jumped it or done anyhting else that could have fried the computer recently?
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"
The Beav

Post by The Beav »

TheGr8Doughboy wrote:I think it's a crankshaft position sensor in the 4.0. That'd be my guess.

Chris
I said the same thing when we were first looking at it... who knows if they tried it or not..
Baber

98 Z71
88 K5 Blazer
00 F250 7.3 4x4