Question for the Engine guys (aka Terry)

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Jwlman

Question for the Engine guys (aka Terry)

Post by Jwlman »

Is this a normal amount of crap in a sbc with 82k miles? I would like to just replace seals as needed an run the engine without rebuilding it unless it looks like it might have an issue.

Cleans off the pistons easily
TerryD

Re: Question for the Engine guys (aka Terry)

Post by TerryD »

Doesn't look bad. Does look like it was running a bit rich judging by the soot on the pistons. Make sure you plasti-gauge the bearings and you may as well put a set of rings on while you are in there. Completely dissassemble the engine and give it a good washings. It may even be worth the $60 to have it dipped at an engine shop, just to get all the gunk out of it.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Jwlman

Post by Jwlman »

TerryD wrote:Doesn't look bad. Does look like it was running a bit rich judging by the soot on the pistons. Make sure you plasti-gauge the bearings and you may as well put a set of rings on while you are in there. Completely dissassemble the engine and give it a good washings. It may even be worth the $60 to have it dipped at an engine shop, just to get all the gunk out of it.

Trow is getting to you. :flipoff2:

I fully expected your advice to be to rebuild the entire engine with upgraded cam and ported heads :lol2:
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

:mrgreen: I would re-cam it and other stuff, but that's what I do... :cool:

Just check your clearances and clean it really well. You might do some oiling up-grades, but I'm not sure what LS engines need. A windage tray will help keep oil from splashing up into the rotating assembly when hopping around. This also helps keep harmonics out of the engine and increases power (minisculely). You can take a die grinder to any flashing on the inside or outside of the block to help lessen the chances of cracking or stress fractures. I'm not sure if they have them or not, but roller rocker arms are a good upgrade as well. Lower oil temperatures as well as lessened valve train drag. That's the kind of stuff I look at in a performance engine, even a mild one. :thumby:
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Ctrow

Post by Ctrow »

As long as it's hittin every other cylinder you're good to go! :thumby:
1987 MJ, "Trowmanche v2.0"
1998 Cummins
2012 Jeep Compass (Mals)
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

Oiling on LS motors is a pretty big point. If you're running a car pan you almost have to run an accumulator. If you are sticking with the truck pan you can probably get away without one. Aftermarket pans are an option, but not a total solution. The only two legitimate options at the moment are kevko, who has terrible fit and finish/quality control and mast performance. The mast pan is still relatively new and I haven't read a whole lot of real world reviews of it, bit its cast aluminum and looks to be a really nice piece.
93 YJ Under Construction