96 XJ - Will not start :c

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

caseyatwell

96 XJ - Will not start :c

Post by caseyatwell »

96 XJ / Automatic / 4.0L

I was driving on 81 a couple of weeks ago, and lost power while trying to accelerate up a hill (noticed that engine was cutting out, then power steering went, etc). Thinking the issue was overheating, I waited about 15 minutes and then it fired right up. Drove to the next exit without incident and stopped to check fluid levels, etc. Everything seemed fine. I got back on 81 but then decided to get onto 11 instead so I could take it slower. Mounting the hill approaching the next exit, I again lost power.

From that point until now, the engine turns over well but will not start. I have replaced the cap, rotor, spark plugs, and CPS. I have tested the injectors and the fuel pump.

Anybody have any ideas?
1996 XJ with a few upgrades and a few quirks. Because it's not a problem until it breaks.
Matt612
Vice President

Re: 96 XJ - Will not start :c

Post by Matt612 »

Do you have good spark? Have you done a compression test by chance? How many miles are on your xj? I would start with the basics... fuel, spark, compression. Seems like you already checked the fuel system out, I would check the compression a see where your at just for good measure
2 door xj with booger welds
caseyatwell

Post by caseyatwell »

Thanks for the fast reply!

I replaced the plugs on the side of the road and did not have the time to make sure that they were all spaced correctly, but they were all sparking.

A blown gasket (which should be verified by the compression test, right?) would probably explain the symptoms better than any other issue, especially given that the Heep has 152k miles on it. Do you happen to know if any auto parts store in Blacksburg would rent out a compression tester?
1996 XJ with a few upgrades and a few quirks. Because it's not a problem until it breaks.
KOTABAD

Post by KOTABAD »

The compression test should def help to see if you have a blown.gasket and i am sure that advance would rent them out but you should ask will he is the expert advance tech!!
2000 Dodge Dakota DD
3inch BL 32x11.50 Km2 on 1079 pro comps
caseyatwell

Post by caseyatwell »

Just dropped by Advance. They apparently don't rent out testers for either compression or fuel pressure.

Also, I had a question about Matt's suggestion that it could be a compression issue. If the loss of compression was catastrophic enough that the engine completely choked, shouldn't there have not been enough of a seal for the engine to fire back up later (since I lost power twice)?
willhf1011

Post by willhf1011 »

It would depend. An engine is often perfectly capable of running with a blown headgasket, albeit not well. Do you have substantial flow to your fuel rail? There should be a pressure check port that you can also use to bleed it. You oughta have hood flow out of that. It sounds to me like a computer issue. Is it throwing any codes?obd2 ought five able to give you a lot of info as far as running conditions so it will give you a good starting point.
93 YJ Under Construction
Matt612
Vice President

Post by Matt612 »

The first time you lost power what the motor running hot? What did the temp gauge say? I doubt your issue is a compression issue at all I just suggested it to check that off the list since its relativity easy thing to check. I would agree that if it was a compression issue it most likely would have not fired up that second time a ran fine to get you off the interstate. 152k is really not much for an inline 6 either, like Will said hooking a computer up to it will tell you a lot, that might be your best bet
2 door xj with booger welds
caseyatwell

Post by caseyatwell »

The temp gauge was elevated a couple of degrees thanks to driving on the highway, but it was definitely not abnormal. I will look into grabbing a computer to see if it has anything to say.
UNIMOG-GUY

Post by UNIMOG-GUY »

Autozone in cburg allows you to borrow their pressure tester or you could just text me and I'll let you use mine.
1965 Mercedes Benz Unimog 404 w/ MB-A 7 ton PTO winch and crawler gears for 413:1 crawl ratio, LPG
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1008 FOR SALE
1986 Chevrolet CUCV M1028 w/ snowplow and H1 rims and 37" tires FOR SALE

An original member of the SC4WDA.