Helga

Tow Rig, Diesel and Trailer Tech Discussion

Moderator: Club Officers

TerryD

Helga

Post by TerryD »

2000 GMC Sierra SLE K2500 crew cab short bed 4x4.

Specs:
5.7L V8
4L80E
14bSF (looking for FF)

It needs some work. The front axle needs rebuilt and the bed is pretty dented. It is a South Carolina truck so there is 0 rust on it, just dents from being a 13y/o work truck. It's got a ton of miles on it but I got it for $4000. Made the 4 hour drive home from where I bought it yesterday without a hitch. Looking forward to getting started on it.

I'm going to set up an appointment for tomorrow to get some 285/75/R16's on it and I'm actively looking for a step side bed to replace the factory bed that is so beat. I've found a white one w/o emblems in Salem I'm going to have a look at Thursday. I ordered a full set of new headlights, and some replacements for broken and missing handles on it. Should be here in a couple days.
Last edited by TerryD on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
shmoken875

Re: Helga (still working on a name)

Post by shmoken875 »

Very nice man :thumby:
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Sweet truck Terry, a FF 14B and 285's would look real good on that truck. Needs more cablights too :thumby:

Edit: Nvm, I should read before I post, looked like a long bed at first glance.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
Matt612
Vice President

Post by Matt612 »

Very nice Terry, you dont see many of the crew cab short beds in that model. I would love to put some 285/75/16s on my turd...one day. Post some pictures of the new treads when you get them mounted. What tire are you putting on it?
2 door xj with booger welds
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

It seems to be a fairly rare combo. I found a 454 powered one, but it was getting pretty rusty and had some electrical problems I didn't want to get into. That and the guy was an ass about it.

I'm planning on a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. We have a set on the Suburban and they have been an awesome tire. We put them on almost two years ago figuring they would last 6 months at best. 30k miles later they are still in good shape and grip awesome in the snow and ice. Plus they have a 70k mile warranty if properly rotated and the shop that is putting them on has free rotations.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
Matt612
Vice President

Post by Matt612 »

Very nice if I had the coin I would put Michelins on everything I own. They ride great and last forever. Will just put a set on his truck and it rides/drives 100% better than before.
Jwlman

Post by Jwlman »

Matt612 wrote:Very nice if I had the coin I would put Michelins on everything I own. They ride great and last forever. Will just put a set on his truck and it rides/drives 100% better than before.
I just put a set on my truck and the ride is noticeably improved over the good years. They also kick ass in the snow.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Jwlman wrote:I just put a set on my truck and the ride is noticeably improved over the good years. They also kick ass in the snow.

Agreed. The worn out set on our Suburban proved last year how good. We took it riding after a 4-6" snowfall across a local forest service road. We were on a steep section near the top and it was beginning to spin and dig and carry on. I was worried we may have bitten off more than we had anticipated with these "worn out" tires. I look down and the thing is still in 2WD! I punched the 4WD button and she took off like it was dry pavement. Decided right then that Michelins would be going back on (if I we can ever get this set worn out.)

Did a little work on her today. The temperature hand wouldn't hardly move off 100 on it on the way home with her. Figured it was probably the temperature hand stepper motor. Did a little research and found the resistance specs online. So I borrowed a decade box from work and simulated the sensor today. The temperature hand worked fine so I picked up a new sensor from Advance and put it in. It all seems to work fine now, but it appears the thermostat is a really sorry 160* one or stuck open so I've got to put in a good 195* one ASAP.

Also did a test of the rear locker. Works GOOD. :mrgreen:

Tire appointment is Thursday morning and my new headlights and park lights should be here by Thursday as well. I'll try to post up some "after" pictures.
Terry
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

TerryD wrote:Also did a test of the rear locker. Works GOOD. :mrgreen:
Was this one of those very scientific dual rubber deposit tarmac application procedures?
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

BadAssEddie wrote:
TerryD wrote:Also did a test of the rear locker. Works GOOD. :mrgreen:
Was this one of those very scientific dual rubber deposit tarmac application procedures?

The slightly less strenuous pea-gravel tarmac coating procedure.... If I already had the 14bFF and related parts I'm hoping to get, it would have been the test you suggested with a video recording of my findings. Don't want to disable it less than a week after buying it. :thumby:
Terry
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Just got her back from the shop with the new tires. Looks 100% better with the taller meats on it.

Last edited by TerryD on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Yeah it do :cool:

That's a really good looking truck.

I was surprised at how much better I liked the look of my truck when I went from 265's to 285's last year. I didn't think the extra ~.5 inch in nominal diameter was going to look that different.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
Matt612
Vice President

Post by Matt612 »

New treads loot good Terry, now you need a set of newer style tow mirrors, they all bolt on with 3 bolts very simple
TerryD

Re: Helga

Post by TerryD »

Did some more work to her today. Changed coolant, thermostat, coolant temperature sensor and the fan belt. It is still reading super hot on the gauge, but after shooting it and the Suburban with an IR thermometer, it appears to be a bad gauge in the cluster. The trip meter also stopped working so a new cluster will be in the works soon. Tossed in a K&N air filter too.

Put the little moochers to work cleaning that blue stuff off my white letters.

Terry
TerryD

Re: Helga

Post by TerryD »

I gave the torsion bars four full turns this morning. It raised it an inch in the front and gave the 285s plenty of room to move around in. Also picked up a step side bed for it for $200. I've got to strip it and get it painted in the next couple weeks. I think it's going to look pretty neat once I get it done. :thumby:
Terry