front differential damage on Potts trail help?

Moderator: Club Officers

Discovery97

front differential damage on Potts trail help?

Post by Discovery97 »

hello,

last weekend out on potts i put a small hole in my front differential getting over one of the obstacles. I patched it with a good bit of JB weld putty and that seems to have held it. I refiled it with gear oil and it drove fine coming home, so I don't think i damaged any of the gears. anyway I was wondering what you all recommend, If it is ok the way it is or needs further welding or something.

Thanks,
Marshall
subie01

Re: front differential damage on Potts trail help?

Post by subie01 »

Don't know what you do right now but I would definitely get these for the future
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9580.cfm
not cheap but will save alot of headaches
1999 LR Disco
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

I'm sure someone makes a weld on one. Clamp on anything under an offroad vehicle doesn't last long. Plus a weld on will also help seal up the hole if done properly.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
InvertChaos

Post by InvertChaos »

|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" OME HD coils + 1.25" BL|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears w/Detroit Trutrac|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
alk1174
Club President

Post by alk1174 »

Google Toyota pipe cap diff guard it should give you some good cheap ideas.

On my Toyota i just took some 1/8" plate and cut it to fit the shape of the front diff and welded it on while it was full of oil. When I was done I drained the old oil out and refilled it. This kept warpage of the thin sheetmetal housing to a minimum.

As far as the existing hole I would weld it up or plate over it. Since you do not have manual hubs I would not rely on the JB weld eventhough it will probably never come off. I am sure if you ask around someone will do the welding for ya.