need some help with LSD

Parts, vehicles, fab and mechanic work, etc.

Moderator: Club Officers

turnbull

need some help with LSD

Post by turnbull »

The limited slip on my Dana 44 is worn out. I need to replace the clutch packs. Does anybody have any experience with this, or does anybody know a good mechanic would won't pull my pants down over the price?
'15 JK Sport w/ 31.5" Duratracs, 3.6l Pentastar, 6-speed manual, 4.10 gears, Detroit TrueTracs front and rear
turnbull

Re: need some help with LSD

Post by turnbull »

The reason I think my LSD is worn is because I am able to over power the clutch pack with only one wheel in the air. If I am not mistaken, I should not be able to over power the clutch pack unless it was worn, correct?
'15 JK Sport w/ 31.5" Duratracs, 3.6l Pentastar, 6-speed manual, 4.10 gears, Detroit TrueTracs front and rear
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

I'd say it's fine. You need a locker if you want power to both back tires reliably. LSDs are good for street driven vehicles that all four tires are on the ground.
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
turnbull

Post by turnbull »

Yea I also checked Wrangler forum and some guy also said it was fine. But I could have sworn that I read somewhere that if you can turn one wheel by hand with the other wheel on the ground, then the LSD is worn out.

I am not going to mess with it for now, but over the summer I might replace the rear LSD with a TruTrac. If I do that though, I'd have to regear both axles so I'd probably end up putting a TruTrac up front as well. It'll be expensive, but I just got an internship offer so I will be making good money. At least that way I will always know that the LSD is working since TruTracs don't wear out.
redneckrapunzel

Post by redneckrapunzel »

Why would you have to regear anything? you should be able to replace your current carrier with the Tru-trac carrier, then check your backlash, run a pattern and make sure its acceptable and then call it a day.
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
turnbull

Post by turnbull »

redneckrapunzel wrote:Why would you have to regear anything? you should be able to replace your current carrier with the Tru-trac carrier, then check your backlash, run a pattern and make sure its acceptable and then call it a day.
To my knowledge, TruTracs for a rear D44 have 2 options: 3.73 and numerically lower, and 3.93 and numerically higher. Since I currently have 3.73 gears, I'd have to buy the 3.73 TruTrac, but if I regeared in the future, then that would have been a waste of $500 + labor.

I could get a front TruTrac that works with 3.73 and numerically higher gears, but even still, if I did regear in the future I would be paying for labor again (but I wouldn't have to buy another LSD). If I did everything (regear and TruTracs) all at once, it would save me money in the long run. This is just a concept at the moment. I'll have to see what my funds are like coming out of summer.
redneckrapunzel

Yea, so you dont have to regear with it and you could always put one in now then sell it later in life when you have the money to completely regear everything. Also in my experience i would recommend a mechanical or selectable locker in the front so that your front tire are always both spinning pulling the vehicle up.

Moving this to to tech.
1997 TJ
04 superduty

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
Jeeper52

Post by Jeeper52 »

hey uh sam, this isnt tech
Bestop half top and the biggest light bar in the club
redneckrapunzel

happy max? and it had gotten more tech than for hire
1997 TJ
04 superduty

^ very true ^