Coilover Angles

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

redneckrapunzel

Coilover Angles

Post by redneckrapunzel »

Alright, from the my understanding you want coilovers to be perpendicular to the axle when at full bump. This is why you dont mount coilovers straight up and down, but with a slight angle. I understand that almost zero rigs run them angles forward in the front and angled back in the back because it looks kind of funny. However for ideal ride, and the most efficient use of the springs and damping of the shock, this would be the proper way to mount.
Is this the correct way to look at it?

picture to show what i have been led to believe ideal angles of the coilovers

Yes i did calculations and found the angles that would give 90* at full bump and factored them into my spring rates. Just want to make sure I am thinking about this the correct way. Also in the front i will probably run close to vertical because of space issues.
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
willhf1011

Re: Coilover Angles

Post by willhf1011 »

That is pretty much correct. In an ideal world, even if they can't be 90* (to the suspension) at full bump, you would like for their angle, relative to the vertical axis to be decreasing (approaching 90* to the suspension arms) as the suspension compresses. This will Give you an effective rising wheel rate (relatively minor, but still progressive) as your suspension compresses, assisting in preventing you from bottoming out the suspension.

The reality is that you can get away with mounting them any way you want within reason. The dual rate stop will give you a more noticeable rate jump that will help with bottoming. Go with what fits first, and then try to make the angles work as best you can.
93 YJ Under Construction