XJ Resurrection

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

Hunter J. Smith

XJ Resurrection

Post by Hunter J. Smith »

I'll be starting my motor swap over the break

We'll be swapping in a thoroughly exploded 4.0 for a used 4.0 (80K)

Any last minute pointers from y'all who've done motor swaps?

TIA
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

Have fun with all the sensors. We put a stroker in my buddy's XJ and fought the sensors for a while. When you've got it all back together and it cranks and cranks and cranks but won't fire, the distributor is 180* out(obviously you have to have fuel and spark too, but once those are established check the distributor). Took us forever to figure that out. Also, watch the CPS(crank position sensor). The motor won't run without it and they're very fragile.

Ary
Hunter J. Smith

Thanks a lot man - murphy's law = i'm sure i will run into all of those

Good news is i'll have a spare of every sensor from the old motor

They oughta still be good... it ran for about 30 seconds as a 5 cylinder, and it even started once (and ran!) the next day :lol:
yotacowboy

Post by yotacowboy »

while you've got the donor motor out take care of all the PITA stuff that you'll be too lazy to replace later, gaskets, sensors, filters, pcv valves, vaccuum lines... and before you drop the donor motor in, definietely take some time to clean up the engine bay, its way easy with no motor in the truck.
'91 Reg. Cab Yota DD: DOA 22re RV, .060 over,270 cam,ported,Thorley Tri-Y,2.25 cat,Flowey 40,SAS'd,Locked,Longed,Pig'd,Bumpered,Slidered,Sky wide axle,5.29's,Duals,Sky Tcase skid,37" Iroks,2.5" BS blk steelies,Allpro Hy-steer,HighAngle D-lines
Hunter J. Smith

i got the engine swap done - no problem.

I ended using a 98 engine and swapping all the sensors off my 96 engine onto it (98 used all flat pins, 96 uses all round pins :evil: )

I cleaned it all up a little bit and did a lot of them details you spoke of

cheers

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/hjsmith/XJResurrection/
Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

haha, nice video
The Rescue Ranger: in pieces and scattered about the yard.