Yota Driveshafts

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

redneckrapunzel

Yota Driveshafts

Post by redneckrapunzel »

So i want to put the dana 300 soonish... next couple weeks. However i dont know what to do about driveshafts, i could continue to run my 1310 driveshaft right now but i would like to upgrade it to something a little bit stronger. According to every yota person on earth (at least that ive talked to about u-joints and driveshafts) yota shafts and ujoints are somewhere between 1330s and 1350's (i have trouble believing that they are stronger than 1350s). My current issue is that i have yota flanges for my axles so that means i would only need two more flanges for the dana 300 and two yota shafts. Whereas if i was to upgrade to either 1330 or 1350 i would need 4 new yokes/flanges and two new shafts.

So my real question is, if i was to make the switch to yota driveshafts, what vehicle would i want them to be from? also are they really that strong?

From what i have seen 4 runner front driveshafts are pretty common and cheap and have a double cardon joint (which i need), would they work? are they really that strong?
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
alk1174
Club President

Re: Yota Driveshafts

Post by alk1174 »

Yes they are stout. I have never seen a factory yota joint fail. Seen some shafts fail as they are very thin. I have also seen a few aftermarket joints fail usually a lubrication failure. They are very rarely the weak link in a yota drivetrain.

You want a joint from a 84 and up truck the older ones have a weak yoke. If you find one from a 90s era front with manual hubs you should not need to replace the joints, just retube it and clearance the joint for more angle. There is a good article on 4X4 wire on clearencing the joint for more angle.

If you do get new joints go to toyota or High Angle Drive Line for factory ones. They are about 30 bucks a piece though. When you compare the factory to aftermarket you can see the difference and tell why they are better just by looking at them.

Also be aware there are 3 different bolt patterns but if you get flanges they will likely be trippled drilled to account for this.

Also look google schedule 40 yota shaft. I think its 2.5" schedule 40 you can use to make a heavy wall shaft on the cheap if you can find the material
redneckrapunzel

Post by redneckrapunzel »

Yea the flanges i have are triple drilled, also i like that idea of schedule 40, hopefully it balances out ok on the highway(not actually the highway really just around town)!!! :confused2:. ALso im assuming that 4 runner and land cruiser shafts (if there double cardon) are the same except potentially different bolt pattern?

I think im going to go for it, ive been reading all day about them and seems like it will be cheaper if i can find decent deals on driveshafts.
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

From what I know, I dont think land cruisers or at least the 80 series have double cardans. But 3 gen and above 4runners have double cardans in just the rear which is a pretty long ds. And as far a tacos go, I dont think they have double cardans as they have a two piece drive shaft in the rear same with tundras and t-100s, but I guess it also depends on the model taco and bedlengths? Like im pretty sure "prerunner" tacomas have double cardans

So basically those that do have double cardans are
-rear 3rd gen+ 4runners ('96+) longer driveshaft
-front on 1st and 2nd gen 4runner(84-95) (84-85 solid axle drive shafts)
-front on all t100s
-front 2nd gen and 3rd gen pickups (84-95)
-prerunner tacomas?
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris