drilling hardened steel?

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

CJonLP

drilling hardened steel?

Post by CJonLP »

I have a broken spring stud in the housing of the D60. I drilled a hole and tried to remove the stud with an extractor and it broke off inside. Now I have a hardened extractor in the stud and none of the drill bits I have with even make a dent.

Any ideas?
Username

Re: drilling hardened steel?

Post by Username »

Heat
alk1174
Club President

Post by alk1174 »

Can you put a nut over top of it and weld the inside of it to the extractor? Most of the time if you can do this the heat of the weld will break everything loose and you can back it out with the nut.
CJonLP

Post by CJonLP »

alk1174 wrote:Can you put a nut over top of it and weld the inside of it to the extractor? Most of the time if you can do this the heat of the weld will break everything loose and you can back it out with the nut.
I might have to try this.
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

CJonLP wrote:
alk1174 wrote:Can you put a nut over top of it and weld the inside of it to the extractor? Most of the time if you can do this the heat of the weld will break everything loose and you can back it out with the nut.
I might have to try this.
I've had it work a couple of times. Err on the side of "overwelding" without destroying the nut. It usually shears the first or second time for me and becomes kind of a pain to reposistion.

I've had a few bits and taps break on me and it is always a hassle, but I've also used a chisel to break the bit as much as possible and then drill it out slowly. You might have to invest in a nicer HSS (Cobalt) or even carbide bit that is the right tap drill size since you might have to drill and tap the hole if the broken bolt won't extract with the nut method. Buying a 3/16", 3/8", and 29/64" cobalt bit and throwing them in a bag with the 1/2"-24 tap for the next time would probably serve you more than once. Sizes are an example, obviously.

Let us know how it turns out.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
CJonLP

Post by CJonLP »

Well............I got the stud out. But I have ruined the threads for the replacement. I found a 5/8" helicoil kit which I think could be the best options. Any other suggestions?