Drum to Disk Brakes

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

redneckrapunzel

Drum to Disk Brakes

Post by redneckrapunzel »

woke up this morning and felt like swapping my brakes from drum to disks on the old 9"... so i did came out pretty sweet and was pretty simple. I used a combo of chevy and ferd parts for this. i got all my stuff from autozone so those are the part numbers i will provide.

Parts list:
Rotors - 5446 - 73-79 ford 1/2 ton 4x4 front rotors
calipers - C528/9 - 73-87 k10 front brake calipers
2 chevy banjo bolts
78738 - pass side rear brake line from a 98 explorer
pads - from the same k10 dont have the part number
brake mounts - ruff stuff WELD30 - not what i used i actually found a set gus had cut of his jeep axle and used those!!! the tubing size and height will change for every axle.

Cant think of anything else at this time im sure im forgetting something will add when i remember.

First thing ya got to do is grind down the OD of the rear axle shaft, i chose to just put my rear end up on jack stands put the jeep and drive and hold a file down on the flange. Worked pretty good.
Image looks so much better than drum already.

next thing i did was bolt the calipers to the brackets and put the pads in and set it on the rotors, then plumbed the brakes lines and bled. This let me clamp the rotor in the caliper while welding which should give me a pretty close to perfect alignment hopefully. for hard lines i just cut and reflaired my current hard lines on the axle from drum brakes.

took it all apart welded everything painted and boom got me some sweet rear brakes. like i said all pretty easy, hardest part is finding the right parts that will all match up. Ill post more pictures later, i actually haven't finished yet...

for those that want parking brakes still Cadillac eldorado brake calipers have a parking brake function.
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
BadAssEddie

Re: Drum to Disk Brace

Post by BadAssEddie »

Do you know if the K10 calipers the same size as K20 ones used in this swap on one ton axles? I would think not, but they look really similar. I also wonder because the Caddy ebrake calipers obviously aren't 3/4 ton truck calipers and are used on 1/2 ton and 1 ton axle swaps. I need to do this on my truck instead of servicing the drums again.

Did you put the brakes on the front side of the axle because your coilovers are in the way?
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
redneckrapunzel

Re: Drum to Disk Brakes

I'm not 100% on the difference but I think the 3/4 are dual piston and mounting holes are like a 16th inch wider. 1/2 ton area single piston. The mounts I used where for 3/4 ton brakes just had to bend them a touch to work. Don't know this all for sure but it's my best guess, I didn't half ton because they had them local and should be sufficient braking. Also harder to fit 3/4 in 15" wheels
1997 TJ
04 superduty

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

redneckrapunzel wrote: 3/4 are dual piston
Theyre single piston. Pretty sure they are the same caliper because they are both 10 bolts, duh :lol2: . Dumb question on my part.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
redneckrapunzel

are they are the won ton ones dual piston then? I know chevy makes a dual piston front brake on one of the k-trucks. And I believe they are a different part number. Its like the difference between the 44 1/2 ton and the 44 3/4 ton on fords. the brakes on gus's 3/4 are much larger than what I got on my 1/2 ton axle.
1997 TJ
04 superduty

^ very true ^
Username

Post by Username »

What did you do to change the proportioning to the rear?
redneckrapunzel

I haven't figured that out yet, my brakes are still really soft and I am planning on rebleeding the system and if that doesn't fix it im going to assume that my master cylinder isn't pushing enough fluid and throw a ram 2500/3500 one in. I wanna know im moving enough fluid before I start to mess with the prop valve. I will probably start by just taking the o-ring out everyone else does and then if that doesn't work cut down the internal spring to see if that allows for more fluid to go to the rear brakes.
1997 TJ
04 superduty

^ very true ^
redneckrapunzel

Got a ram 2500 master cylinder installed matches up pretty well few very minor differences but definitely a much larger size and seems to have fixed my issue. Stock prop valve and much larger MC can lock up all 4 now.
1997 TJ
04 superduty

^ very true ^
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Dude, pictures :flipoff2:
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
redneckrapunzel

I always forget to take before pics so the after pics aren't that special looks the same just a little bigger
1997 TJ
04 superduty

^ very true ^
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

Sweet tech! Keep that shit up!
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris