Water= No Bueno

Wrenching and Technical Information

Moderator: Club Officers

YellowDodgeBrian

Water= No Bueno

Post by YellowDodgeBrian »

So after my little swim in the mud-pit my cab filled with water and my four way amp was totally submerged. After buying a new one for 120$ I've decided that having my important electrical components in low places is bad so i was going to try relocating them to a higher position. The reason why I'm posting up is because i don't have any Solder or tools and was wondering if i could borrow some from somebody.
Can conquer anything in my path with my yellow turd. My truck doesn't burn oil it burns transfer cases at mile marker 187. My truck doesn't get dented it simply molds to it environment becoming faster and more agile. Patches is made from fence posts that were used to keep in the monsters from hell. Patches doesn't have horsepower, it has god power. Patches doesn't drive over rocks, it forces them beneath it because it is superior.
BadAssEddie

Re: Water= No Bueno

Post by BadAssEddie »

I'm sure someone will lend you a soldering iron, I'd let you borrow mine but it is for battery cables, not speaker wires.

But in the long term, you will be living here nine months a year for the next four years, it is worthwhile to invest in tools and supplies (bring them from home or buy new stuff) because you will likely be doing a lot of wrenching while at school. It is a point many students overlook, while in school you live in Blacksburg and visit your hometown, not the other way around. My friendly $0.02.
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
FJCcrawler

Post by FJCcrawler »

BadAssEddie wrote:I'm sure someone will lend you a soldering iron, I'd let you borrow mine but it is for battery cables, not speaker wires.

But in the long term, you will be living here nine months a year for the next four years, it is worthwhile to invest in tools and supplies (bring them from home or buy new stuff) because you will likely be doing a lot of wrenching while at school. It is a point many students overlook, while in school you live in Blacksburg and visit your hometown, not the other way around. My friendly $0.02.
I completely agree! My home was across the country so naturally, I packed my whole garage in my car. I also lived on campus for 3 years and left my garage in the back of my car until recently. It kinda sucks, but I had everything I needed to do anything to my car right in the back. All I needed was a parking garage or parking lot.

But yes, I have a soldering iron if you need one. Its a bigger one but it should do the trick.
'01 4Runner -New lower ball joints
'85 4Runner
'04 GX470
’88 Xtra cab
’94 Land Cruiser
Chris
YellowDodgeBrian

I have an extra soldering iron at home but I never even thought to bring it. I'm going to start putting together a list of tools to bring. But I have enough speaker wire I just needed to extend the 4G power wire.

Sense I'm putting a list together of tools, what would be really good ones I should have?
Can conquer anything in my path with my yellow turd. My truck doesn't burn oil it burns transfer cases at mile marker 187. My truck doesn't get dented it simply molds to it environment becoming faster and more agile. Patches is made from fence posts that were used to keep in the monsters from hell. Patches doesn't have horsepower, it has god power. Patches doesn't drive over rocks, it forces them beneath it because it is superior.
YellowDodgeBrian

Also, in regards to the carpeting, should I just remove it and rubberize the floor? It smells awful and this isn't the first time it has gotten soaked before.
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

YellowDodgeBrian wrote:Sense I'm putting a list together of tools, what would be really good ones I should have?
Thorough set of hand tools
Any specialty tools your truck needs, like hub sockets or similar
Jack and jack stands
Wiring tools and supplies (as you know)
Torx bits
Pickle fork
Basically any tool you have, bring all that you have space for.

This is what I carried around freshman year before I had a garage:

It was plum full, like Wong's Runner. I had every tool I owned in it.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
YellowDodgeBrian

The most essential tool in there was the case of natural light. :thumby:
Rex82

Post by Rex82 »

The most essential tool in there was the case of natural light. :thumby:
HEARD DAT!! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Chris
'04 LJ
'13 HYUNDAI Sonata
Play dirty, leave happy
NJKURPat

Post by NJKURPat »

Alec and Wong covered everything pretty well. Find out what specialty items you need and look into a decent mechanics set, or piece together your own for what fits your needs. A torque wrench is a really good investment whenever working on your vehicle. I figured out what I needed slowly via parts I was ordering or when I broke.
| 2008 JKUR | 4.10 | 3" MC DUALRATE LIFT | UCA's | TRACKBAR | 35" TG | HARDTOP |
redneckrapunzel

Post by redneckrapunzel »

Idk what your budget for tools is or what you have laying around that you can bring to school but ive had good luck with Kultch tools from northern tools, not the nicest or the cheapest but definitely a higher quality tool than harbor freight and i think cheaper than Kobalt. problem is that the closest Northern is roanoke i believe.
1997 TJ
04 superduty
10 civic #nolifelikethelowlife

"If you'd stop flirting with the :sheila: and worked, you'd be almost done." - alec

^ very true ^
Bacwds

Post by Bacwds »

I also have a nicer* soldering iron for small to large gauge wire don't know if I have solder or not tho
YellowDodgeBrian

Bacwds wrote:I also have a nicer* soldering iron for small to large gauge wire don't know if I have solder or not tho
I bought some solder yesterday so I'm good on that. The other problem I'm running into is where I can get access to a power outlet. Would it be smart to get a DC to AC power converter?
WhiteRhino
Vice President

Post by WhiteRhino »

I usually just use a small blow torch for soldering its faster and portable lol, harbor freight sells a soldering iron if need be for cheap
1999 Tacoma, 3 inch bilstein/eibach lift, 35s, locked front and rear
--VBYOTA--

To punish and enslave….. :thumby:
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

YellowDodgeBrian wrote:
Bacwds wrote:I also have a nicer* soldering iron for small to large gauge wire don't know if I have solder or not tho
I bought some solder yesterday so I'm good on that. The other problem I'm running into is where I can get access to a power outlet. Would it be smart to get a DC to AC power converter?
An inverter is always a valuable piece of equipment to have. HF had a couple open box closeouts for cheap that were big enough to power tools and whatnot on a wheeling trip.

Also forgot to say, rip the carpet out. It will keep it from smelling like a wet dog and rusting your floor pans out.
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
YellowDodgeBrian

Carpet is out and Im working on relocating all of the essential wiring or at least waterproofing it. Today i dropped a pretty penny and bought nice jack stands, an inverter, a micro-torch with a soldering tip, a legit tow strap, and some deep set sockets because the shallow ones were just not working out. I was planning on spraying or rolling some liner on the inside, any recommendations? My 4g wire is coming Thursday so i have a little bit bit of time before i can finish all the interior. Tomorrow will be the wheel cylinders.
Attachments
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG (241.23 KiB) Viewed 16959 times
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG (188.84 KiB) Viewed 16959 times