Good place to source trailer axle (with brakes)

Tow Rig, Diesel and Trailer Tech Discussion

Moderator: Club Officers

shmoken875

Good place to source trailer axle (with brakes)

Post by shmoken875 »

Any recommendations?

I spun a bearing on I-83 coming home from Rausch in January. Finally got some time to tear it apart and found this shit:

Had to drill through the castle nut and break it. Cut the outter bearing and grind/chisel the inner bearing.

My 100 year old caliper seems to indicate that I've lost 0.005" in the spun area on the outter. The wiring trailer brake magnet thingy got a little cooked too as there was some flammage at 80mph. I'm leaning towards a new axle, but am open to ideas. What says ye SC4WDA?

If I do need a new one I'm looking for (current axle specs):

WMS - 88.75" ish
Tube - 2.375"
Brakes - 10"
BP - 5 on 4.75" (is 4.75 normal?)
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep
zach119

Post by zach119 »

The shoes look pretty worn in the picture so chances are your other brakes might need replacing soon, and I also assume the other bearings might be getting ready to show wear. I'd personally go ahead and pick up another axle considering the one side needs completely rebuilt. The couple trips a year your able to take with it, I definitely wouldn't want the same thing to happen again to the other side of the trailer another trip or two down the road. I've always bought trailer axles from Northern Tool. I'm sure others will chime in but this is just where i've personally used.
-Zach

2003 Ford F150 work truck piece of crap- sold
1998 Dodge Ram, 35s, 456s- sold
2000 Powerstroke tow rig on DUBs- once rolled- sold
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi tow rig
1995 YJ on BLOCKS
Arya Ebrahimi

Post by Arya Ebrahimi »

www.abctrailerparts.com for all your trailer part needs

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and found their prices good and service excellent.

Also, do you need any wheels for your trailer? I have a pair of white steel trailer wheels that I believe are 5x4.75 and I have no use for them. If you do, I'll go double check the bolt pattern. They're not mine, but they don't fit the trailer they're for, so I'm trying to get rid of them so I can buy the right wheels.
shmoken875

Post by shmoken875 »

Arya Ebrahimi wrote:www.abctrailerparts.com for all your trailer part needs

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and found their prices good and service excellent.

Also, do you need any wheels for your trailer? I have a pair of white steel trailer wheels that I believe are 5x4.75 and I have no use for them. If you do, I'll go double check the bolt pattern. They're not mine, but they don't fit the trailer they're for, so I'm trying to get rid of them so I can buy the right wheels.
Thanks for the offer, turns out they're 5x5
Randy
Tow Piglet/DD: Silverado
Driveway Ornament: Clifford the big red Jeep