Terry's Xterra

Show off your build here!

Moderator: Club Officers

TerryD

Re: Terry's Xterra

Post by TerryD »

Hard to see in this picture but the rear axle is on the stands with the weight on it and the front is completely unloaded. The rear hub is lower than the front. I'm looking forward to seeing how the front ends up!

Image2018-04-12-21-53-15 by TerryD, on Flickr
Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Well it's done!!!!

ImagePost lift by TerryD, on Flickr

It's taken a good bit to get it done, but with the help of my dear wife and a buddy who came over yesterday after I helped him hang his new HF antenna, it's finally done. I've been looking forward to seeing it on it's wheels again all week. I roughed in an alignment and it seems to drive ok. I think the tow is a bit high.

I wound up cranking the cam bolts all the way out and moving the ball joints out on the SPC's about a 1/4" from the fully inboard position. I've got to find a shop this week to get the alignment taken care of.

Parts tally comes in at:
SPCs
Fat Bob's coil over modified 5100s with 600lb/in Eibach springs and 1" Nisstec Spacer
New Moog Lower control arms
New brake pads
+500lb +2.5" Alcan springs
Rear Radflo shocks
PRG u-bolt flip kit
Timbren bumps (need to check length, may have to add spacer)

I still have a full set of stainless brake hoses to add, but it looks like the rear will be OK without them for the time being. I figured at this mileage they wouldn't be a bad addition either way.

I went ahead and ground the coil buckets till the UCAs would bottom out on the bucket with the ball joint all the way inboard. I shouldn't every have any issues with CBC or ball joint boot damage now...

Most of these parts were used and I want to thank everyone who sold me your junk cheap!!! I can't remember who I got everything from right now. I'd have to look it up.

Now to await my Shrockworks front bumper and try to find time to install my ARB compressor and finalize my radio install.

Image20180414_160920 by TerryD, on Flickr

Terry
Offroading: The hobby of turning perfectly good vehicles into scrap metal. :cool:
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Nothing so exciting today. I resealed the passenger side timing chain tensioner inspection port on the timing cover. Its had a weep since I had the dealership do the secondary tensioners last year. Another reason I hate having others work on my stuff. I always have to go back and fix something.
Terry
XJWayne

Post by XJWayne »

Looks good, since it's a DD are there any plans to mod further?
'01 Jeep XJ
'01 Silverado 1500 Z71
'02 Suburban 1500 (R.I.P.)
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Oh yeah. Shrockworks front bumper is ordered and due in June, there's a 10k Warn winch on the shelves in the basement, weighing options for regearing right now and how far I want to take that, and a rear bumper with tire carrier and dual gas/water can carrier is also in its future.

Since selling the K5, I can focus on one project a little more. It probably won't get any more lift or tire though. The purpose of this thing is, overall, family travels. We're wanting to start traveling and exploring more. We are planning a trip to the Pisgah Nat'l forest in June to spend a few days camping and exploring the area. Then we'll head over to Gatlinburg for a few nights as well.
Terry
XJWayne

Post by XJWayne »

TerryD wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 am Oh yeah. Shrockworks front bumper is ordered and due in June, there's a 10k Warn winch on the shelves in the basement, weighing options for regearing right now and how far I want to take that, and a rear bumper with tire carrier and dual gas/water can carrier is also in its future.

Since selling the K5, I can focus on one project a little more. It probably won't get any more lift or tire though. The purpose of this thing is, overall, family travels. We're wanting to start traveling and exploring more. We are planning a trip to the Pisgah Nat'l forest in June to spend a few days camping and exploring the area. Then we'll head over to Gatlinburg for a few nights as well.
Sounds like about where I want to go with the XJ :thumby:
'01 Jeep XJ
'01 Silverado 1500 Z71
'02 Suburban 1500 (R.I.P.)
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

Made an appointment to get it aligned at the Firestone at Tanglewood Mall in Roanoke. They have the lifetime alignment on sale right now. That's one free alignment every 6mo/6k mi. I figured with IFS that's probably a good idea.
Terry
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

So after my alignment, I headed up to Craig County to meet up with Brett and see how our freshly lifted rigs would do.

I only aired down to about 25psi for the trip. I'm pretty pleased with how the Xterra worked out there. We only ran down to the Sand Notch at The Overlook and turned around, but Brett got to finally go across Kidney Rock and I good a pretty good idea of how the Xterra is going to work out.

The sliders took a couple light hits. I need to see if there's a way to get a little more down travel. Coming out of a few pot holes, I could feel the front top out and actually carry the front tires. I've only got a 1/2" thick spacer on top of the 5100s, I may need to go to a thicker one when I get the Shrockworks bumper on there and gain a touch more down travel.

This morning I retorqued the whole suspension. Found out that the clunk in the front end was a loose swaybar end link and I had to put about a 1/4 turn on each of the u-bolts to get back to the torque specs. Otherwise, everything was good.

Image20180421_182406 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180421_184239 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180421_182722 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180421_171938 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180421_182421 by TerryD, on Flickr

I took Elder Minion with me, she was taking the pictures. I think she did ok. The video she shot is pretty shaky though. I'm going to have to give her some lessons on shooting off-road video here soon.

Image20180421_181106 by TerryD, on Flickr
Terry
zip ties

Post by zip ties »

I’m always so happy when Bret is wheeling and seeing both his front tires heading in the same direction.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

zip ties wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 pm I’m always so happy when Bret is wheeling and seeing both his front tires heading in the same direction.
:lol2: Funny you mention that! He's got one of those trick aluminum tie rods that will allow them to point at each other and still spring back to how they are supposed to be after you get it off the rock point.
Terry
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

A couple Xterra buddies and I ran Flag Pole with the Mid Atlantic Overland group Saturday. Got the stretch the legs of the Xterra some and do some camping with my kids. It was a great day out on the trail:

ImageFB_IMG_1525027398696 by TerryD, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1810 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180428_153936 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180428_154105 by TerryD, on Flickr

Image20180430_092644 by TerryD, on Flickr
Terry
CJMTaco

Post by CJMTaco »

Looks like ya'll had a blast up there! Flagpole has always been an enjoyable set of trails that aren't too far from my home.
2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4.
Bilstein 5100/OME 887 Coils & Medium Dakar Leafs. OVTuned.
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

We had a great time up there. It was the first real experience off-road for the guy in the stock P4X. He was really impressed with how well it performed. I had a lot of fun in the more technical spots.
Terry
BadAssEddie

Post by BadAssEddie »

Nice, been wanting to get up to Flagpole.

Build is looking good so far, even if it's morfing into an overlander :flipoff2:
1969 Cadillac Deville 7.7 Big Block
1978 Ford F-150 6.4 FE
1993 Ford Bronco 5.8 Windsor
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2016 Ford F-250 6.7 Powerstroke
TerryD

Post by TerryD »

BadAssEddie wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am Nice, been wanting to get up to Flagpole.

Build is looking good so far, even if it's morfing into an overlander :flipoff2:
Eh, it's MEANT to be an overlander! :thumby:

I scored a set of the nice Radflo Extended travel coilovers for the front to do away with those Bilstein 5100s. The Bils aren't valved to deal with the 600lb/in springs I have on there and my current springs are too long to boot, so it's just not working out. I got these Rads for a good deal, new in the box.
Terry